Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic - Bid for Upgrade (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic - Bid for Upgrade (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:32 pm

When are bids typically accepted? For instance, if I have a trip coming up in January and I were to bid now, when would I find out if my offer was accepted?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by swested
When are bids typically accepted? For instance, if I have a trip coming up in January and I were to bid now, when would I find out if my offer was accepted?
You'll be advised within a day or two or three of your flight.
swested likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:34 am

VS 118 (MIA to LHR) Booked Premium Econ on Miles/points

Bid $515 on low end of scale/needle for UC/Business, Flight is about 8 1/4 hours

Expert Flyer showed lots of Business availability

Bid accepted about 56 hours prior to flight
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:40 am

VS 12 (BOS to LHR) Booked Premium Econ on Miles/points

Bid $500 on low end of scale/needle for UC/Business. Flight is about 6 hours and 40 minutes

Expert Flyer showed only a few (very low) number of empty Business seats

Bid accepted about 47 hours prior to flight
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:55 am

Slightly related I was about to make a bid for PE but it will be cheaper to use miles I already have with VS. Problem is the first two rows are blocked off (seat is unavailable for selection) and the only seats I can pick are two middle seats. Any idea when VS "releases" the first two rows of PE or is this an unusual thing? I wonder if they are being held of bids.. For reference $2860 is the lowest acceptable bid for upper class right now! Flight departs in a couple of weeks right after Christmas.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by skvanburen
Were you charged any additional surcharges/fees aside from the $550 bid amount? I am considering bidding for an upgrade myself, but the website says additional surcharges might be charged but the site doesn't indicate how much those surcharges would be when entering my bid.

Also, when you upgraded with miles were you charged additional surcharges?
Yes, paid extra when upgrading return section, but outbound upgrade as a result of bid only cost the value of the bid, no other charges
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ellipsicon
Slightly related I was about to make a bid for PE but it will be cheaper to use miles I already have with VS. Problem is the first two rows are blocked off (seat is unavailable for selection) and the only seats I can pick are two middle seats. Any idea when VS "releases" the first two rows of PE or is this an unusual thing? I wonder if they are being held of bids.. For reference $2860 is the lowest acceptable bid for upper class right now! Flight departs in a couple of weeks right after Christmas.
Virgin now charge for preferred seating in PE so that might be why they are blocked off

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...onomy-seating/
ellipsicon likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Suggestions for bidding on upgrades for two pax, when booked separately (one cash on Delta and one on points thru Virgin)? Both are currently booked in Premium. June/July 2023 MCO>LHR>MCO if it makes a difference
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:26 am

Flying in on a strike day long haul and surprised to see the bid system hasn't changed since they are no longer selling tickets. Currently close to 14 J seats and ~8 W seats. Any data points for upgrades at the check in counter?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:39 pm

How long before the flight does VS usually release the upgrade offers or bid for upgrade? I have a flight in July first week and am looking for upgrade from Eco classic to either delight or PE or even possibly UC. The seats are blocked off as of now and bid for upgrade says this is not currently available.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by kalebhushan
How long before the flight does VS usually release the upgrade offers or bid for upgrade? I have a flight in July first week and am looking for upgrade from Eco classic to either delight or PE or even possibly UC. The seats are blocked off as of now and bid for upgrade says this is not currently available.
I am wondering the same thing. I have a flight in mid-May and it says that bidding for upgrades is not currently available.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:52 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I SUSPECT that VS are suffering a lot of IT issues right now.
The entry to SkyTeam has hardly been seamless, and I have read of lots of relatively minor issues with other aspects of their IT.
We can only hope that the issues are resolved soon, but who knows?

Nick
bman1002 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by bman1002
I am wondering the same thing. I have a flight in mid-May and it says that bidding for upgrades is not currently available.
I have an upcoming flight in the same time frame and was able to submit an upgrade bid last night.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by BakerLifterTraveler
I have an upcoming flight in the same time frame and was able to submit an upgrade bid last night.
Wondering if a Delta ticket on VS metal will also be offered a chance to upgrade (either fixed price or bid) the same way as VS ticket on their own metal.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:50 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by kalebhushan
Wondering if a Delta ticket on VS metal will also be offered a chance to upgrade (either fixed price or bid) the same way as VS ticket on their own metal.
No - you have to book direct with Virgin Atlantic

Details here - https://www.virginatlantic.com/cn/en.../your-bid.html

Nick
bman1002 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.