Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Need to change a sale UC ticket …

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Help! Need to change a sale UC ticket …

Hi all - we bought amazing deal UC LHR/SFO in the sale. Now need to change the dates. UC fares on new dates are through the roof. So I just wait until the next sale? Any thoughts would be extremely welcome!!

UPDATE - we found some suitable dates in July but the fare difference was significant (£2,500 more each). So, the very helpful agent downgraded our revenue tickets to Premium, then we upgraded to U/C using a voucher, so the cost was just £120 each - great result!

Last edited by Seat 1K; May 21, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old May 12, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1K
Hi all - we bought amazing deal UC LHR/SFO in the sale. Now need to change the dates. UC fares on new dates are through the roof. So I just wait until the next sale? Any thoughts would be extremely welcome!!
Virgin is not operating SFO at the moment - they are cancelling 2 weeks out (and then paying refunds / letting you change the dates for free). When are you due to fly?

Ultimately you paid Premium prices for Upper - so if you want to change the date you might want to downgrade rather than pay the extra money. You could also get a Virgin Credit Card and try to trigger the upgrade voucher and then upgrade yourself - problem is this relies on award availability, so this isn't without risk.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Your best bet is to hope for a cancellation and to get your money back.

It's also worth calling VS to see whether they will allow one date change without repricing.

Otherwise, you are finding out that vouchers are not "open tickets", but a form of Monopoly money that is only worth what VS says it is. Once travel gets back closer to normal, there will be no incentive for VS to offer such low fares in Upper Class...
pazza2000 likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Your best bet is to hope for a cancellation and to get your money back.

It's also worth calling VS to see whether they will allow one date change without repricing.

Otherwise, you are finding out that vouchers are not "open tickets", but a form of Monopoly money that is only worth what VS says it is. Once travel gets back closer to normal, there will be no incentive for VS to offer such low fares in Upper Class...
Agreed, I have an award sale (50%) flight to the US that I would like to change. I would say I have a better likelihood of being allowed to do that over the similarly timed revenue sale, however not overly optimistic!

In a similar situation to the OP. I don’t think your SFO flight will be cancelled, those US flights are largely still flying, ‘we’ are just not allowed on them.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Agreed, I have an award sale (50%) flight to the US that I would like to change. I would say I have a better likelihood of being allowed to do that over the similarly timed revenue sale, however not overly optimistic!

In a similar situation to the OP. I don’t think your SFO flight will be cancelled, those US flights are largely still flying, ‘we’ are just not allowed on them.
pazza2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.