Wiki Posts
Search

Has Virgin Atlantic ceased trading?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba, virgin, ua, hilton, spg
Has Virgin Atlantic ceased trading?

I tried to book two flights in Upper for September. Wasn't able to do this on-line, so I sent a text. No reply after 3 days.
I then called VS on a Sunday morning. No reply within 40 minutes, so gave up. Sent a WhatsApp. No reply (18 hours later).

- Does anyone have a suggestion, or have Virgin ceased trading?
Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You would have read about that in the news. No, still trading. I am able to book just fine via website now.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
With things as they currently are, customer service resource is spread extremely thinly and it is taking days for responses to request. It sounds like you unfortunately can't make your reservation online, which is throwing you in to the maelstrom of trying to content their customer service teams.

VS, like others at the moment, are trying to work through long backlogs of requests and they will be prioritising existing customers needing support. Even then, it looks like it is typically taking multiple days for feedback to be forthcoming.

The advice being offered up via their social channels is pretty much that people have to wait for a response, but it won't be quick unfortunately.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I think this interview with Michael O'Leary (of Ryanair) puts things very much into a perspective regarding the size of the refunding problem for airlines at the moment. All their costumer service resources are spread very thinly at the moment. He also 'interestingly' describes why he thinks Virgin Atlantic should not get a government bail out. I can't stand the bloke, but he actually talks a lot of sense in this interview.

Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
It’s not like refunds for the easy cases (flight was cancelled, passenger asks for refund) can’t be automated, which would probably take care of a very large chunk of the backlog.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It’s not like refunds for the easy cases (flight was cancelled, passenger asks for refund) can’t be automated, which would probably take care of a very large chunk of the backlog.
If money grew on trees, I guess VS would have automated that process already.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are effectively insolvent. They have no money left, DL not only will not put in another penny (they would possibly only if Branson did, otherwise they would risk going over the 49% threshold), and VS owes them an additional $200 million currently due to the repositioning of the JV ATI after Branson foolishly backed out of the agreed upon deal in December with AF/KL. This is the end of Branson as a magical businessman, had he honored the deal that he set several years ago, he would have gotten from AF/KL about $300 million for 31% of the airline, and owned a 20% minority position that would probably have been covered by DL and AF/KL (especially now that they have gotten big state aid. Instead he did not get the $300 million, he paid (or is liable) for a breakup fee of a rumored $50-100 million to AF/KL, owes DL another $200 million due to change in the ATI, his 51% is worthless AND even magically if some UK state aid happens he will probably have to match it by selling, pawning or whatever his other positions at the lowest time in the market ever for most of his holdings, and not see that money back for many years, if ever. So his greediness in December will be his and his airlines downfall. (Or maybe he can get out of it by giving the airline away for $1, who knows). What I know is that I would not be buying any VS tickets right now.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
If money grew on trees, I guess VS would have automated that process already.
My comment was also directed at MOL's comment about the workload and shortage of staff. At least be honest and say you're artificially delaying the refunds so you don't run out of cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.