Wiki Posts
Search

Options for Future Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Options for Future Travel

I currently have a trip booked on VS (booked directly with airline). We're expected to depart in 41 days and, at this rate, I do not expect that to happen. I would love more than anything to keep an open ticket and take the trip at a time when we can safely travel again. That being said, the financial stability of the airline has me concerned that an open ticket may vanish into thin air if the airline enters administration or goes bust completely.

Are there any options to protect the value of the ticket or otherwise recoup that cost? I believe that if I rebook on a DL codeshare I am still not protected because the ticket would be issued on VS stock. We did not purchase insurance because this was not a concern when we booked. We did book with an amex card but I am not confident their standard insurance covers financial distress.

Any suggestions would be helpful as I'd like to not see the value of this trip disappear completely. Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You should be protected by Amex - the card not the insurance, although the insurance doesn't hurt - if VS cancels your flights. Do a chargeback instead of accepting a voucher from VS. (if VS won't offer a refund)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.