Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by arjaok
So it seems like cash refunds are taking a pretty much indefinite amount of time. How long are points refunds taking?
points are almost instantaneous once you cancel
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Regarding cash refunds, Virgin Atlantic have made a promise to pay all refund requests made up to the end of August by the end of October:

I quote:

"But speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Wake Up to Money programme on Monday, Virgin Atlantic boss Shai Weiss promised that refund requests would be handled faster. He promised:
  • Outstanding refund requests will be cleared by the end of October.
  • Refunds requested by the end of September will be paid within 60 days.
  • Refunds requested in October will be paid within 30 days.
He added that in November Virgin expects to go back to offering refunds within seven to 14 days."

Let's see...
Sounds positive! Be interesting to hear if that is going to be experience.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Regarding cash refunds, Virgin Atlantic have made a promise to pay all refund requests made up to the end of August by the end of October:

I quote:

"But speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Wake Up to Money programme on Monday, Virgin Atlantic boss Shai Weiss promised that refund requests would be handled faster. He promised:
  • Outstanding refund requests will be cleared by the end of October.
  • Refunds requested by the end of September will be paid within 60 days.
  • Refunds requested in October will be paid within 30 days.
He added that in November Virgin expects to go back to offering refunds within seven to 14 days."
It should be pretty well known that cash refunds are usually funded by fresh cash coming in through ticket sales.
At the end of August I'd assume that many people believed the worst of the Pandemic has passed and that ticket sales will tick up more and more. They did tick up substantially in July and August.
Sadely, that positive trend has been reversed by now.
Hence, without fresh cash coming in, VS is not able to raise the funds to fund cash refunds in November within 14 days.
You can throw the promise of Shai Weiss straight into the bin.

btw: the excuse that refunds take 120+ days to process due to unprecendet numbers of refund request, is a fairytale. VS is simply trying everything to hold onto their cash.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
It should be pretty well known that cash refunds are usually funded by fresh cash coming in through ticket sales.
At the end of August I'd assume that many people believed the worst of the Pandemic has passed and that ticket sales will tick up more and more. They did tick up substantially in July and August.
Sadely, that positive trend has been reversed by now.
Hence, without fresh cash coming in, VS is not able to raise the funds to fund cash refunds in November within 14 days.
You can throw the promise of Shai Weiss straight into the bin.

btw: the excuse that refunds take 120+ days to process due to unprecendet numbers of refund request, is a fairytale. VS is simply trying everything to hold onto their cash.
I do empathise with Virgin Atl! I feel they in particular are in a catch 22 situation here
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:05 pm

137 days and counting for me. From what I've read here and elsewhere, that seems pretty ordinary. VS "processed" my refund September 10, but the funds haven't appeared within the promised 14 working days.

The miles, however, were reposted right away
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:54 am

I received a refund calculation for a reward ticket this morning after 96 days when 120 were promised. I'll post an update when the money comes in.
The calculation shows a refund that is too high right now but I'll wait and see what is actually refunded. At the moment it shows a full refund of the taxes and fees for the cancelled flights, but I initially changed the ticket to an open ticket and then rebooked with lower fees (ANA). So the refund should only be the difference between both, not the full amount.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:42 am

On the other hand my refund for an unflown inbound portion of a cancelled award return flight shows a calculated amount that is lower than it should be. Let’s see what I receive...
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I do empathise with Virgin Atl! I feel they in particular are in a catch 22 situation here
A catch22 of their own making. They chose to operate a business model that used money paid for future bookings to fund current operations, without a sufficient 'saving for a rainy day'. Now the rainy day has come.
pazza2000 and 36902BRF like this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A catch22 of their own making. They chose to operate a business model that used money paid for future bookings to fund current operations, without a sufficient 'saving for a rainy day'. Now the rainy day has come.
Yes true to an extent! I’ll scale back my empathy a little.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I received a refund calculation for a reward ticket this morning after 96 days when 120 were promised. I'll post an update when the money comes in.
The calculation shows a refund that is too high right now but I'll wait and see what is actually refunded. At the moment it shows a full refund of the taxes and fees for the cancelled flights, but I initially changed the ticket to an open ticket and then rebooked with lower fees (ANA). So the refund should only be the difference between both, not the full amount.
The money hit my card overnight, so it only took two days and 98 days in total. My card issuer is always very fast with releasing refunds so if it takes a long time for the money to reach your account after you've received the refund calculation VS may not be the ones to blame.

They did issue a full refund instead of the difference between the original ticket and the new ticket. I'm not willing to risk losing my seats over €40 so I will let them know they refunded too much.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
My miles have still not reposted from 2 cancelled Delta flights, 2 months later. Probably gonna have to contact them again... are wait times down from the many days via text that they were in August after bankruptcy filings were announced?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
My miles have still not reposted from 2 cancelled Delta flights, 2 months later. Probably gonna have to contact them again... are wait times down from the many days via text that they were in August after bankruptcy filings were announced?
They were pretty prompt last night via text. They got back to me in about three hours at a time when at least their phone lines were technically not open. My miles were back immediately.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:45 pm

Just had the refund I was waiting for come through at around day 90 of the expected 120. Was also told at the time of cancellation there would be an admin fee of £30/ticket charged, but the full amount was refunded with no fees taken.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:53 am

Received my refund on day 95 from cancelation. Came out of the blue - no email received with advance notice of refund.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:51 am

Latest update:

Travel was to have been in
May 2020

Refund request date
May 22

My first follow-up
September 4 (VS stated aiming for max of 120 days, which would be September 19)

Refund confirmation date
September 10 (received detailed confirmation, refund in 1-14 working days)

My second follow-up
October 13 (see below; refund has not appeared on my card)
Hello [Petdog],

Thank you for your email and for confirming those details for us. I hope you're having a lovely day and that you're keeping well!

Having reviewed our Refunds Database, I am pleased to confirm that your refund was paid on 10/09/2020.

Once the refund has been processed it will then be returned to the original form(s) of payment. It may be necessary to allow up to 14 days for the money to show on the customer account due to the process in place between Virgin Atlantic and our Merchant Service Providers [i.e. banks]. The length of time may also depend on payment method and provider, or if a Bank Holiday falls during the period of time.

I hope this information helps!

If you need any help in future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards

[Name]
Virgin Atlantic
Customer Centre

Last edited by Petdog; Oct 15, 2020 at 7:56 am Reason: Inadvertently posted incomplete post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.