Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-LHR rebooked as ATL-LGW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
ATL-LHR rebooked as ATL-LGW?

I have a booking on VS 104 (ATL-LHR) on Thursday and got an email saying I'd been rebooked to VS 1104 ATL-LGW. Schedules show now VS 104 as cancelled on Thursday.
Virgin's email didn't have any Duty of Care information, which I believe is mandatory? Am I right in thinking VS are liable under EU 261 for any reasonable expenses stemming from this cancellation and rebooking to a much less convenient airport for where I'm going?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, if you don't like the tentative rebooking, call VS and ask for the rebooking you wish. It ought to be easy enough to be rebooked onto a DL service to LHR.

Second, the "duty of care" has nothing to do with this. Rather VS has a duty to get you to LHR. Thus, you should have ask for a bus voucher or at least a reimbursement of the bus ticket afterwards. You could also negotiate for a simple payment which gets you to where you are going. But, anything over the cost of the ticket to LHR is a simple customer service gesture.

Third, you may also be entitled to cancellation compensation under EC 261/2004, all depending on the original timing, the new timing and the actual time of arrival at LGW/LHR depending on where things wind up.

The key to these situations is to be proactive. If what you are offered isn't to your liking, do the research to find what is and call in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
First, if you don't like the tentative rebooking, call VS and ask for the rebooking you wish. It ought to be easy enough to be rebooked onto a DL service to LHR.

Second, the "duty of care" has nothing to do with this. Rather VS has a duty to get you to LHR. Thus, you should have ask for a bus voucher or at least a reimbursement of the bus ticket afterwards. You could also negotiate for a simple payment which gets you to where you are going. But, anything over the cost of the ticket to LHR is a simple customer service gesture.

Third, you may also be entitled to cancellation compensation under EC 261/2004, all depending on the original timing, the new timing and the actual time of arrival at LGW/LHR depending on where things wind up.

The key to these situations is to be proactive. If what you are offered isn't to your liking, do the research to find what is and call in.
DL's flights both have fewer J seats than are in my booking so that doesn't really work alas. And yes I meant reasonable costs to get ot LHR (in this case the change costs of moving the rental from LHR to LGW)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That’s an unusual diversion. Connected to the possible strike at LHR on Friday I think. DL flights may well be cancelled as well.

yes VS will either arrange coaches to take pax to LHR or reimburse you your costs if they don’t.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

And now the original flight to LHR has been restored (after having rebooked ground arrangements to LGW). What a farce.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That’s an unusual diversion. Connected to the possible strike at LHR on Friday I think. DL flights may well be cancelled as well.

yes VS will either arrange coaches to take pax to LHR or reimburse you your costs if they don’t.
Strike has been called off for this weekend.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:37 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
...................What a farce.
That is harsh!

They tried to make reasonable alternative arrangements, because of Industrial Action at your destination airport. Then they reverted to plan A pretty quickly when the threat disappeared - what would you have wanted them to do? Ignore the problem until it may have been too late?

Nick
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
That is harsh!

They tried to make reasonable alternative arrangements, because of Industrial Action at your destination airport. Then they reverted to plan A pretty quickly when the threat disappeared - what would you have wanted them to do? Ignore the problem until it may have been too late?

Nick
Well said.

Had VS left it to the last minute, there would have been any number of threads from people complaining that VS let the string run out.

Striles, slowdowns, and other threats are all intended to disrupt commerce. That is what happened here.
nancypants and bmibaby737 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
And now the original flight to LHR has been restored (after having rebooked ground arrangements to LGW). What a farce.

Sounds like really poor customer service by Virgin Atlantic. Really gross they kept changing what they were going to do. Would be frustrating.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

I’m a BA GGL/CCR/GfL (and VS gold), so I have some idea what I’m talking about about flying into and out of LHR. BA are the largest airline operating into LHR: how many flights did they redirect for a strike with a significantly uncertain chance of happening? None.

Point being VS gave absolutely no communication along with the cancellations: just a “your booking has changed” email, so I had no clue if the strike didn’t happen if we’d be reverting to LHR or staying with LGW. I bought business class tickets for my step family and their toddler: VS doing the hokey-Corey without a clear explanation of their reaction function to the industrial action (which was out of their control, but their reaction was certainly in it) made planning post-logistics impossible. This isn’t good customer service, no point trying to convince me it is.

VS “proactively” cancelled thousands of seats for an event than didn’t happen. The threatened vs actual strike ratio at LHR is really not that high, so BA’s stance of “let’s see what really happens” was mich more pragmatic than “let’s panic and cancel a bunch of flights so we’re resilient”.

Last edited by alexwuk; Jul 24, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
I’m a BA GGL/CCR/GfL (and VS gold), so I have some idea what I’m talking about about flying into and out of LHR. BA are the largest airline operating into LHR: how many flights did they redirect for a strike with a significantly uncertain chance of happening? None.

Point being VS gave absolutely no communication along with the cancellations: just a “your booking has changed” email, so I had no clue if the strike didn’t happen if we’d be reverting to LHR or staying with LGW. I bought business class tickets for my step family and their toddler: VS doing the hokey-Corey without a clear explanation of their reaction function to the industrial action (which was out of their control, but their reaction was certainly in it) made planning post-logistics impossible. This isn’t good customer service, no point trying to convince me it is.

VS “proactively” cancelled thousands of seats for an event than didn’t happen. The threatened vs actual strike ratio at LHR is really not that high, so BA’s stance of “let’s see what really happens” was mich more pragmatic than “let’s panic and cancel a bunch of flights so we’re resilient”.
Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I wonder if this had been your stance had the strike gone ahead

Being proactive is always better, in my book, than being reactive.
nancypants, ijgordon and mradey like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by woggledog
Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I wonder if this had been your stance had the strike gone ahead

Being proactive is always better, in my book, than being reactive.
+1 Damned if they do, damned if they don't. BA presumably couldn't be as proactive due to the volume of flights they have to deal with. VS should be applauded, not derided for their actions in this case.
Theirin and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don’t know is what arrangements HAL pit in place for the strike such as reducing take off and landings.

what happens with severe weather for example is they say 10% cut in flights allocated across airlines flying to/from LHR.

Because VS is a relatively small airline it affects only their Long Haul ops so is more noticeable if they do have to cancel.

with BA they tend to chop short haul instead if along haul hence it appears as though they are better at irrops than other airlines when in fact they aren’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.