Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Economy to PE upgrade voucher - Can I upgrade to Biz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, through my UK Virgin credit card, I received a voucher allowing me to upgrade an economy booking to PE.

Is there a way I can use this to bump to Business? If not on the way out, perhaps at JFK for the return to LHR?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No.

And IIRC you cant then use miles to upgrade to Upper if you have used the voucher to get in to PE.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nope. You can't further upgrade the ticket using miles. You might be able to upgrade using cash at the airport.

The chances of PE award space being there, but then the cabin becoming so overbooked that VS needs to op-up... slim.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Is an upgrade by miles out of the question at any point? I.e. can I try on board?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA & Flying Club
We’ve had this before when we’ve booked economy air miles and then got the reward upgrade to premium and then decided we want to fly upper. Basically you hand back your upgrade and then upgrade from economy miles to upper miles. We did it one way once so we still had the reward in premium on one leg.

To answer your last question I was in a premium upgrade coming back from LA a few years ago and asked at the airport to upgrade to upper using miles and they said yes, so it is (or was) possible. I tried in Vegas once and they basically laughed at me politely and from that route it was almost impossible so I guess it all depends on the route.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I spoke to Virgin C.S. today and they pretty much said the same thing - turn up to the airport and ask. If there's availability and no-ones taking it, they might as well take some points for it....the proof is in the pudding. It's the red-eye from JFK - LHR mid-week so hopefully have some chance I guess....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.