Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Seat in Premium Classes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Car Seat in Premium Classes

The car seat thread is a few years old so I want to alert people to an issue experience by a family member this week: they were traveling with an 18 month old
with a typically "approved" car seat. They opted for Premium Economy to have extra leg room and purchased a seat for the baby. Unfortunately, there is fine print
that car seats are not allowed in seats where airbags are installed. That means they are never allowed in Upper Class (which they knew and it would have been a miserable layout with an older toddler anyway) but they did not know that "some" Premium seats also have air bags installed. It was an unpleasant surprise and, had they
known, they would have either taken another airline to LHR or booked coach to not pay a premium up charge. Maybe more digging should have been done, but just want to provide a heads up to others to preempt this boarding drama.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While I agree that making a post here is good to give a data point VS makes it rather clear and the first 5 child travel blogs/websites I clicked on had VS listed properly noting the UP & PE restriction.

From VS website.

Example from a child travel website.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You should contact VS directly if you believe the website info is inaccurate. More people will see the VS info than this thread.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I was simply interested in putting up a new experience, since not much is posted on this topic and, for me, FT is a key resource. This was asked about when the flight
was booked 9 months ago and all seemed well at the time, according to the TA. The more updated information was that "many" premium seats do have airbags, but not all.
Since there is no way to tell, I guess one has to assume that this is not an option. But my hand has been duly slapped for posting something better found elsewhere.....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mickidon
I was simply interested in putting up a new experience, since not much is posted on this topic and, for me, FT is a key resource. This was asked about when the flight
was booked 9 months ago and all seemed well at the time, according to the TA. The more updated information was that "many" premium seats do have airbags, but not all.
Since there is no way to tell, I guess one has to assume that this is not an option. But my hand has been duly slapped for posting something better found elsewhere.....
FYI, the bit about the air bags follows a lot of text about what is and isn't approved and it is not mentioned until after many paragraphs of car seat descriptions. It is reasonable for someone to read this statement, look into whether or not the car seat is approved and feel like all is well:

"Car seats

If you're travelling in Economy or Premium, you can bring your own car seat as long as it meets the standards below and you've booked a seat for it."
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:28 pm

Is it clear which aircraft have airbags in premium?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mart1012
Is it clear which aircraft have airbags in premium?
Nope, that is the problem. It's "many." In my DD's case, it was confirmed that it would be fine, but it wasn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.