Search

Virgin Upper vs Delta One suite: with infant

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Virgin Upper vs Delta One suite: with infant

Hi there,

Looking to book a trans-atlantic with miles: LON -> NYC.

Flying with a 17 month old baby and my other half, so comfort and width of seat is a priority.

Which would you recommend ?

Many thanks in advance,
B
Old May 13, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm not a huge fan of the Delta lie-flats used on their fleet of 767-300 and 767-400, which are often used between London and JFK. The ones used on their Airbus A330 are of newer herringbone design and what I prefer for flying up front. That being said, all things being equal, EWR can be a better airport for NYC depending one where one is staying and how one is planning on getting there. As far as JFK, DL and VS use the same large terminal (T4), but the VS planes tend to use gates that are much closer to the US Customs and Immigration hall than DL. I've had some pretty long walks when arriving at a distant gate on a DL flight and with an infant to look after, shorter walks would probably be a good thing. I also like the cabin service from VS; crisp and professional, but not too stuffy. DL can be all over the place, service-wise.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Will the baby have it's own seat or will the both of you share the 'lap duties'?

Please also check the requirements of both airlines re the use of child seats if that's your plan. VS certainly has a list on it's website of acceptable makes and models but I'm less sure about that they allow in Upper due to the configuration of the seat.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not sure about DL, but VS have a pretty generous policy regarding lap infants on reward tickets in J. 10% of miles instead of 10% of cash fare.

I also understand not wanting to position with an infant, but you would save a fortune by flying to/from Continental Europe instead of London...
Old May 13, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'm not a huge fan of the Delta lie-flats used on their fleet of 767-300 and 767-400, which are often used between London and JFK. The ones used on their Airbus A330 are of newer herringbone design and what I prefer for flying up front. That being said, all things being equal, EWR can be a better airport for NYC depending one where one is staying and how one is planning on getting there. As far as JFK, DL and VS use the same large terminal (T4), but the VS planes tend to use gates that are much closer to the US Customs and Immigration hall than DL. I've had some pretty long walks when arriving at a distant gate on a DL flight and with an infant to look after, shorter walks would probably be a good thing. I also like the cabin service from VS; crisp and professional, but not too stuffy. DL can be all over the place, service-wise.
For now, all Delta LHR-JFK flights are operated with their most modern Delta One (non suite) product... i.e. the reverse-herringbone A332/A333. Starting in the summer, they will see the newly-modded 764ER, which should be a nice plane when it's done. No DL seat needs to be flipped over to convert into a bed.

Delta service in D1 is, by and large, really really nice.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:42 pm

I think having a 17 month old on either airline in D1 or UC would be difficult on the LON/NYC leg as the child will be mobile and difficult to pass back and forth in relatively tight quarters. I just went through this analysis with someone and she ended up buying 3 premium economy tickets so that the child would have a proper seat and was happy she made that choice. If the child napped, one parent could leave the row and they could also eat meals without someone on a lap.
tfred likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.