Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to the Upper Class Wing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to the Upper Class Wing?

27th November 2017 5:30pm for flight VS400.

Don't get me wrong the upper cass experience when you factor in price (especially from LHR) may be one of the best ways to travel currently but if you advertise something you do actually need to do it.

Seemed like a big waste of my time collecting and then calling (I don't understand why I cannot do this online anyway) with all my details if they are not going to use it. I was indeed greated warmly but I thought they were supposed to great you by name hand you the pass and send you on your way like a VIP. Instead we were required to check in as normal at the (albeit very classy) desk.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by chriswortley5
27th November 2017 5:30pm for flight VS400.

Don't get me wrong the upper cass experience when you factor in price (especially from LHR) may be one of the best ways to travel currently but if you advertise something you do actually need to do it.

Seemed like a big waste of my time collecting and then calling (I don't understand why I cannot do this online anyway) with all my details if they are not going to use it. I was indeed greated warmly but I thought they were supposed to great you by name hand you the pass and send you on your way like a VIP. Instead we were required to check in as normal at the (albeit very classy) desk.
I think these are fair criticisms. In particular, having to call to give the details does seem rather antiquated when you compare it with the online services available from SQ for example.

The first few times I used the wing I received the service you expected - I was welcomed out of the car with my travel documents and I don't believe I had to confirm anything about the contents of my luggage, it just disappeared with pre-printed tags. More recently, it has been the classy check-in desk experience. I wonder whether the security requirements have changed?

One thing that always surprised me was how surly the Heathrow security staff are - they seem even shorter with the customers than in the normal security area. Normally I am just left shaking me head, but one time I intervened as the lady on the trays repeatedly shouted at a gentleman who did not speak English to take off his jacket; all it took was the universal symbol of shrugging off a jacket and he got it immediately! Given the low volume of traffic through the UC desk and the wing, you would have thought it would be the easiest shift in the airport. It's certainly jarring after the calm of the wing, but I wonder how much Virgin can do.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: VS Gold
So what happened? Was it closed?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I used the wing once for a morning departure from LHR. I arrived in an Uber and hadn't called ahead with the registration number as I didn't know what it would be. We were buzzed through after a minute or so of the driver speaking into the intercom and giving my name and flight information. When we got to the entrance there was a staff member waiting to greet me from the car with my boarding passes. She didn't have any pre-printed luggage tags, but when I said I had a bag to check in they quickly appeared. I was at the desk for all of about 30 seconds and on my way through to security. Can't recall if I was asked any security questions about my bag, but if questions were asked they were quick and not very intrusive as otherwise I would have remembered.

Wasn't really sure what to expect as it was my first (and, so far, only) time of using the wing so far, but I was happy with the service. It did what I expected it to do and it meant a very quick walk through security and into the lounge which was my primary concern.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
T3 security are downright nasty. T5 is slow, but T3 are hostile. My understanding it has to do with poor labour relations, but it's amazing to fly out of airports like LIS recently and realise that security staff can actually be polite

I'm flying VS in a fortnight for the first time in eight years, having been tempted by late deals in UC. How do you access the UC Wing if arriving by train?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SCSA

I'm flying VS in a fortnight for the first time in eight years, having been tempted by late deals in UC. How do you access the UC Wing if arriving by train?
TBH if arriving on public transport I’d just use the normal checkin desks and the staff will direct you to the lift and then the magic door to the wing and private security channel.

some people have been known to grab a taxi from arrivals and drive round to the wing but that is a tad excessive to me.
SCSA likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

The upper class wing can only be accessed by car (note larger cars will not fit) as mentioned above the lift from the normal check In area (should you arrive by other means) will take you to security but you will not really see much of the wing.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SCSA
T3 security are downright nasty. T5 is slow, but T3 are hostile. My understanding it has to do with poor labour relations, but it's amazing to fly out of airports like LIS recently and realise that security staff can actually be polite

I've never found T3 Security to be bad. UC Wing accessible by car only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.