Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to burn miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Best way to burn miles

I've recently trialled switching to BAEC and have been reasonably happy with it. I think the main thing going for it is the household account and large OW network.

So we still have some miles sitting around. I have 48000 and missus has around 80000. I have around 20000 in amex points which I can convert if required. We also have a 7yr old son with no account.

We are pretty flexible in terms of destinations, HK, east coast, carribeans all work. Ideally upper class. And ideally around 3k max all in. Is that even possible? I think the sticking point is our son. Is there a way to share miles with him? Otherwise buying an outright upper class ticket for him is expensive! This is one of the primary reasons we switched to BAEC...

If not flights, is there another (cost/point efficient) way to burn off the miles?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by benjai

So we still have some miles sitting around. I have 48000 and missus has around 80000. I have around 20000 in amex points which I can convert if required. We also have a 7yr old son with no account.

Is there a way to share miles with him? Otherwise buying an outright upper class ticket for him is expensive! T
You can buy your son's ticket with your miles, no need for a Household account.

Your wife could buy a one way ticket with her miles and then she could buy her return flight using your miles.

Basically you need to phone up Virgin and ask that she\you are authorised to use each others miles.
Then in the same phone call book the flights.

Though with such a relatively small amount between you i cannot see you all getting UC.

The split in miles used from each others account has to be equal so hence the One way trick.

Flying is the best value to burn miles.

Chauffeur rides to\from some airport is 17.5K one way and can be useful to get rid of such a small amount.
Limit is 75 driven miles.

Last edited by blindman; Sep 1, 2017 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Remember you don't have to look for straight reward seats.

it's possible to buy PE (in the right fare bucket) for cash and then use miles to upgrade.

You can also use the 'spend miles' option too - 3k miles is 17 off the cash fare. But not always good value.

the 17.5k for a limo is only available if you have a UC reward ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by blindman
You can buy your son's ticket with your miles, no need for a Household account.

Basically you need to phone up Virgin and ask that she\you are authorised to use each others miles.
Can we all use each other's miles? This is new to me! So what is the point of the household account then?

I was thinking more along the lines of buying economy or PE then upgrading to Upper, for at least one leg. A return in PE upgraded to Upper costs around 60k depending on location and we have around ~150k total; I can always buy a few more miles if required or just slum it myself in PE for one leg. Can we use each other's miles for upgrading?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
And of course you can throw some amex miles into the mix.. Or upper out and PE back.. PE is fine - I have done it many times and been happy. Upper is super - even better from Heathrow due to the clubhouse.

Assuming you know where you want to go it starts becoming somewhat easier. City, beach or both?

Virgin has a much smaller network so you be guided by that or award availability..

I good place to start is when and where and then phone up. The staff on the phones are excellent in my limited opinion - start of with a short list and take it from there.

The amex transfers are instant assuming you have sent one previously so maybe ping 1000 over to get that base covered and jump straight in .

Happy Travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.