Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:48 am

I'm trying to book ORD-HND for October 2022 (less than 330 days out), but the Flying Club rep I spoke with today can't find any availability in F or J, despite United's website showing 1 F and 1 J available on a few different days. Anyone else experiencing this or have any idea what might be happening here? When I called VS yesterday, the rep said that ANA simply wasn't responding: the rep would send in a query/request and it would just hang as "pending." Rep said other callers were having the same issue and suggested I call back today, which I did, but today's rep gave me a more definitive "not available" answer.

Last edited by incaroads; Nov 11, 2021 at 7:11 am
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by incaroads
I'm trying to book ORD-HND for October 2022 (less than 330 days out), but the Flying Club rep I spoke with today can't find any availability in F or J, despite United's website showing 1 F and 1 J available on a few different days. Anyone else experiencing this or have any idea what might be happening here? When I called VS yesterday, the rep said that ANA simply wasn't responding: the rep would send in a query/request and it would just hang as "pending." Rep said other callers were having the same issue and suggested I call back today, which I did, but today's rep gave me a more definitive "not available" answer.
my understanding is that united can sometimes show ‘ghost’ availability, not always accurate. If you are quoting flight numbers and departure times to the VS reps and it’s not showing up, then the reward seats don’t exist - the VS reps are usually quite competent folks.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:28 am

Just re-read that, and if it’s being held as ‘pending’ that’s unusual. I’ve probably booked x15 or so ANA partner award tickets and they usually just have to wait for a response in (up to) about 5 mins from Japan.

never been left as pending…
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:10 am

Thanks - I didn't know there was an issue with phantom availability on United's site, but that must be what's going on as VS reps aren't finding any seats for me on several dates that show up as available on United (typically 1 F and 1 J).
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by incaroads
Thanks - I didn't know there was an issue with phantom availability on United's site, but that must be what's going on as VS reps aren't finding any seats for me on several dates that show up as available on United (typically 1 F and 1 J).
I would HUCA if I were you. In the three years that I've now been booking and rebooking these flights not once have I seen phantom availability on UA. You can double check on Aeroplan and if they're available there, too, then in my experience it must be a system issue or an agent issue. It's worth it to do your homework before the call and to feed them all the exact details such as flight number, departure time, and exact airports. Even competent agents sometimes slip up and accidentally check the wrong flight, especially if there are multiple flights on the same day. This did happen to me a few months ago and when I picked up on the error and pointed it out the agent found the availability I was looking for.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I would HUCA if I were you. In the three years that I've now been booking and rebooking these flights not once have I seen phantom availability on UA. You can double check on Aeroplan and if they're available there, too, then in my experience it must be a system issue or an agent issue. It's worth it to do your homework before the call and to feed them all the exact details such as flight number, departure time, and exact airports. Even competent agents sometimes slip up and accidentally check the wrong flight, especially if there are multiple flights on the same day. This did happen to me a few months ago and when I picked up on the error and pointed it out the agent found the availability I was looking for.
Good advice, thanks. I've already HUCA'd a couple of times, but haven't checked Aeroplan. A system issue seems likely given that a rep I spoke with yesterday seemed to think something weird was happening on ANA's end.
EDIT: Successfully booked the flight I wanted, though on a different date. In the end, it seems that United's site was accurate for some dates but not others.

Last edited by incaroads; Nov 11, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:53 am

When checking flight availability on United, sometimes I see one Business (mixed cabin) and one Business seat. When it's a nonstop flight, are they referring to the same seat or are there actually two seats available in Business? I'm not sure how a mixed cabin seat works on a nonstop flight?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:51 pm

So today in CA it's 11/15. If I call the VS office when it opens at 11PM (7AM UK Time) it will be 11/16 there.

That means I should be able to book 11/16 + 331 = Oct 13?

Or is it 11/15 (California date) + 331 = Oct 12?

Last edited by Tooshay; Nov 15, 2021 at 3:53 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Tooshay
So today in CA it's 11/15. If I call the VS office when it opens at 11PM (7AM UK Time) it will be 11/16 there.

That means I should be able to book 11/16 + 331 = Oct 13?

Or is it 11/15 (California date) + 331 = Oct 12?
Hi Tooshay,

Apologies for the late reply and welcome to this forum.

Yes you are correct with regards to with 11/16 at 7am UK time. Did you manage to contact them and book anything?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DesperateDan
Hi Tooshay,

Apologies for the late reply and welcome to this forum.

Yes you are correct with regards to with 11/16 at 7am UK time. Did you manage to contact them and book anything?
Ah got it. Thank you for the information! I thought it was +331 days US Pacific time (+330 days UK time) for some reason, but if it's +331 UK time (+332 US Pacific) that is fine! This seems to be the hardest information to get a clear answer on so I appreciate the response.

I didn't book anything yet. But I am planning to for travel around end of Oct so coming up soon. I just wanted to be as prepared as I could be! Fingers crossed it works well, will be my first time booking premium award travel.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:05 am

Fair enough - preparation is key it is a bit confusing about the 331 days thing - took me a little while and a phone call to work it out.

Good luck when you're booking day comes up.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:12 am

Fair enough - preparation is key it is a bit confusing about the 331 days thing - took me a little while and a phone call to work it out.

Good luck when you're booking day comes up.
Thanks! This might be overkill, but do you have a recommendation on when to call? Should I start dialing when its 7AM UK Time? Or do I have better chances if I start calling some time before? 10 mins before? More or less?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:26 am

It's got to be 7am. I tried calling a few minutes before and it goes straight to recorded message.

Go straight in with 'I would like to book an ANA reward flight from A to B in Business/First on this date' and give the flight number/timings, that way they can get straight to taking the seat off the system before someone else gets it.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:18 am

Thanks for the info! Really helpful.

Now I'm figuring out when I need to book return flights, and now I'm searching on ANA site and seeing that they are switching to 789 planes from TYO-LAX in November so no F sadly. I didn't see any news about this announcement, but I hope I'm at least able to snag 2 J seats on the return. Is there any difference with booking return flights with VS? I assume it's the same procedure as the outgoing flight (+331 days UK).

Last edited by Tooshay; Nov 16, 2021 at 10:18 am Reason: dates
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:28 am

It's got to be 7am. I tried calling a few minutes before and it goes straight to recorded message.

Go straight in with 'I would like to book an ANA reward flight from A to B in Business/First on this date' and give the flight number/timings, that way they can get straight to taking the seat off the system before someone else gets it.
About a week ago I called at 11pm (PST) and they didn't pick up...just got the recorded machine. And then I called again at all the way to 11:32 and still got the answering machine. Finally called again at 12:06 and while on the line realized my seats were gone. Very frustrating.

I've been looking for 2 seats from LAX to HND for about 1.5 months with no luck for end of Sept to October 2022. Been a pretty rough go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.