Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic Airmiles Joke

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:20 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Great advice stuart_f ^^

Nick

Last edited by Nottingham Nick; Dec 17, 2015 at 9:30 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:11 am

stuart_f

That's about the best explanation I've seen on upgrading with VS, especially the ITA "/f bc=m" part. I learnt something new and I am an ex-VS employee in Sales.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:14 am

What a great post from stuart_f.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

woah - thank you VERY much stuart_f!!!

i have to ask - how do you know all this and why do virgin not give you these options on their website? it seems like you need a bloody degree in virginonomics in order to know all this.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the holiday is a gift to myself for submitting my PhD (due at the end of sept 2016), so i am really grateful to you for helping me make the flight as amazing as the holiday is going to be.

PS: take your point about the futility of upgrading on the return leg. i had wanted to make the return leg special because i will most likely be sad about having to come back to england, but if i sleep through it then... meh. way out it is!

Last edited by tuhpeegee; Dec 17, 2015 at 4:54 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
If it was easy, everyone would do it and that would mean less availability for you and me so I quite like it the way it is
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

heh, true that. is it the same kind of thing for all airline cards? i opened a BA amex in a fit of rage yesterday when i thought the virgin one was useless.

does it work in the same way as virgin?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stuart_f
If it was easy, everyone would do it and that would mean less availability for you and me so I quite like it the way it is
Great response and something new to know about Matrix.

But is there actually UC award availability on the date the OP wants to travel? I've read some moaning but no actual confirmation that the problem is only finding the cheapest upgradeable fare.

OP also needs to be aware that VS will charge him a substantial amount of additional taxes and surcharges for the upgrade to UC. This might be worse on the ex-UK leg although I haven't checked the Caribbean lately.

And no... you don't escape any of this with BA. Many would say it gets worse...

Last edited by craigthemif; Dec 17, 2015 at 6:25 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:26 am

Yep there was G availability when I looked last night.

With regard to BA, the process is similar, there's a great thread on reward flights here: Your guide to spending Avios | 2015
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Poster

great, thanks ever so much for the link stuart_f!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:04 am

stuart_f,

That was an awesomely well thought out and executed post. Thank you for taking the time and trouble.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Shouldn't stuart's post be a sticky or wiki?

It will help many newbies in the future. Anyway, applause to you from SGN
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:42 am

I am just leaving this here so I can return when not at work and have a play.

I have just booked upgrade flights to JFK through the telephone team. Do you think they will have booked the cheapest available upgrade price or just put me at the full price end of the scale?

I also wasn't aware it was a sliding scale of upgradable fares.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:00 pm

When I ring and ask for full miles redemption rewards flights the agent has, 100% of the time, tried to sell me M class economy with miles upgrades instead and, to give them their due, they have explained why M + miles would earn tier points and miles where as the full redemption would not. Based on my (admittedly limited) sample size I would say the agent has sold you the right thing.

I've never, ever, been pushed to buy a Y and upgrade on the phone. The only way I can see that happening is if you buy a Y without realising what you are doing online and then call to apply the miles afterwards.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by archieatkins
I am just leaving this here so I can return when not at work and have a play.

I have just booked upgrade flights to JFK through the telephone team. Do you think they will have booked the cheapest available upgrade price or just put me at the full price end of the scale?

I also wasn't aware it was a sliding scale of upgradable fares.

You've given us NO information on the ticket you bought and how much cash you paid to be able to comment.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH once more to stuart_f. i just booked my ticket: upgrade to upper class outbound, economy O return. £826 all in.

merry christmas to me, merry christmas to you, merry christmas to EVERYONE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.