Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic vs British Airways - NYC to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Put simply, what is a better experience?

Virgin America Premium Economy from JFK to LHR
British Airways WTP from JFK to LHR

Looking to redeem miles. The cost (30,000 miles + $230 in surcharges) are comparable. All flights are day flights (leaving at 7:15 AM NYC time).

Alternatively, I could book Economy on Virgin for 17,500 miles+$130 in surcharges. Are the extra miles and cost worth Premium Economy?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS PE beats BA WT+ hands down (IMHO)

And yes, again IMHO, the extra miles etc are worth it over Y. You get 2* 23KG bags in PE compared to 1 in Y and that might change your maths if you want/need 2 bags
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:58 am

Be careful with what seat you select in VS PE though. Many of them have not just an IFE box under the seat, but also a plastic cover which blocks the entire floor space for your feet if you are 6ft or taller. This makes it very uncomfortable.

Otherwise the VS PE seat is softer than the old BA WT+ seat. However, the new BA WT+ seat is rather nice. Service wise VS is more relaxed I feel. Food is similar from what I gather.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Better ground handling of PE - separate check-in desks etc, while on BA you are just one of the economy horde.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
As posted on the BA board, if you can guarantee the new BA seat/ IFE there will be nothing in it really, if you're on a BA 747, I'd go with VS, although in reality, on a shortish day flight, it will really make little difference
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I already have BA180 booked (a new JFK-LHR flight). It looks like all of the 777s on that flight so far have the new WT+ product. I'll probably just keep that flight.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I'm actually looking into switching from VS to BA at some point later this year.

My main trips are LHR-EWR and LHR-Australia, so as VS have cut the Kangaroo route, I need to swap to another airline to consolidate all my miles.

Luckily the 787 flies the EWR route so this was pretty much what convinced me to give the switch a go. I like the idea of the aircraft and a brand new cabin. I do get the impression that BA is improving but I think I will miss the "buzz" that VS gives.

Business class on the 787 looks superb from what I've seen of it, but the WTP seat doesn't look quite as good as the VS PE seat. Only seen images though of the BA setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.