Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Please report experiences of booking Partner Airline except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Please report experiences of booking Partner Airline except ANA (NH) using VS points.

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 18, 4:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: geclub1
Wiki Link
Flying Club Contact Info

USA +1 800 365 9500

SOUTH AFRICA +27 11 340 3535

HONG KONG +852 2532 6060 9 AM to 6 PM M-F 9 AM to 2 PM Sat

CHINA +86 21 5353 4600

INDIA +1-800-102-3000 ( Toll Free )
+91-124-4693030

CARIBBEAN +1 800 744 7477

Tips to Book Partner Awards:

Delta:

Check af.com for availability.

Virgin Australia:

One-way awards possible
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 19, 6:20 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by qofmiwok View Post
Virgin's website is maddening. Sometimes just clicking around and going back and forth between cities works. Sometimes you can select by region then country and get it to come in. Sometimes you can do a search for paid flights then click miles instead.
Agreed. I am a fairly intelligent and patient person, and I'm used to doing a bit of extra legwork to get good deals, but VS's website is wildly inconsistent. You say you want to search for flights with miles, and then the command doesn't stick on the next screen. I did the Amex transfer to get the extra miles but have found it challenging so far to use them.

I briefly used ExpertFlyer a few years ago before Delta cut off so much info to them. Does it let you search a range of dates on VS for award seats, or do you have to do it flight by flight?
Old Jun 1, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
I briefly used ExpertFlyer a few years ago before Delta cut off so much info to them. Does it let you search a range of dates on VS for award seats, or do you have to do it flight by flight?
ExpertFlyer Pro lets you search for a 7 day range at a time, on both the outbound and return, or on one-way flights. It's worth the $10/mo in my opinion, especially if you are points & miles obsessed.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:59 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by joachimm View Post
ExpertFlyer Pro lets you search for a 7 day range at a time, on both the outbound and return, or on one-way flights. It's worth the $10/mo in my opinion, especially if you are points & miles obsessed.
I just re-joined, but from the sound of it, it doesn't let you search Virgin Atlantic award seats on DL metal. I would love to be wrong.
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
I just re-joined, but from the sound of it, it doesn't let you search Virgin Atlantic award seats on DL metal. I would love to be wrong.
EF lets you search for Saver awards, and in general, these are the only awards that partners have access to. So you'd search for DL awards on EF and then call up VS to book a partner award. NB- I've never done this pairing, just AirFrance partner awards on DL metal.
Old Jun 2, 19, 6:54 pm

Air New Zealand

Does saver award availability on the United website for LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand correlate to similar availability using Flying Club points?
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:39 pm

Booked VFA - JNB one way in business class on South African's long haul A333 (SA41) for 15,000 miles and 130 GBP. Checked availability via ExpertFlyer before ringing VS and it did match what the agent saw in the system.
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:18 am

Lucked out with Air New Zealand availability in August. Booked LAX-AKL on NZ 5 (leased aircraft from Eva Air with herringbone layout) in Business Class for 62.5k points. With the 30% bonus on transfer from Citi it worked out to 48k citi points. Insane deal.
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by stephem View Post

yeah, bummer they donít include them, you will have to call to book. But you can use a tool like Expert Flyer to look for the award space. There seemed to be good availability when i looked for the delta routes into and out of Seattle. Not sure if you are trying to get to west coast or east though...
I don't have an expertflyer account, is there a way to still see award space somehow to ICN?
Old Jun 14, 19, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by ravi100 View Post
Does saver award availability on the United website for LAX-AKL on Air New Zealand correlate to similar availability using Flying Club points?
To answer my own question, over the last week I've looked at the United website and talked to Virgin Atlantic agents and there seems to be pretty good correlation between the two as far as Air New Zealand availability.
Old Jun 25, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
Nothing Available within 3 weeks but after that wide open?

Looked at EWR-ATL booking with flying club award operated by DL. Availability between now and 3 weeks from today has nothing. 3 weeks from today and on everyday is available... This was for multiple city pairs. Is there a 21 day minimum booking period to use flying club rewards on DL?
Old Jun 27, 19, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by theboss7593 View Post
Looked at EWR-ATL booking with flying club award operated by DL. Availability between now and 3 weeks from today has nothing. 3 weeks from today and on everyday is available... This was for multiple city pairs. Is there a 21 day minimum booking period to use flying club rewards on DL?
No hard 21 day rule but I am guessing DL is blocking their awards to partners within 21 days of departure. Not a welcome development but that is DL's MO lately.
theboss7593 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Has anyone booked anything on Singapore Airlines?
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Has anyone booked anything on Singapore Airlines?
I have SIN-IST booked for early August. I checked availability on UA website and booked it with a short call to VS at first attempt - no need to be put on any waiting lists or for them to go away and check anything. So far, so good...
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by ankomonkey View Post
I have SIN-IST booked for early August. I checked availability on UA website and booked it with a short call to VS at first attempt - no need to be put on any waiting lists or for them to go away and check anything. So far, so good...
I take it that SIN-IST still on the 777-200ER aircrafts? Since booking anything else long haul other than those and the A330-300 are basically verboten!
What are the taxes like in the end?
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I take it that SIN-IST still on the 777-200ER aircrafts? Since booking anything else long haul other than those and the A330-300 are basically verboten!
What are the taxes like in the end?
Yes, flight is marked as:

SQ392
Boeing 777-200/200ER
Singapore Airlines

Taxes are £28, miles=40k VS in J class. I need to fly this route and this is amazing value in terms of both miles and cash (I'm UK based so used to high YQ). I'll accept it not being SQ's best metal based on the cost and my need to get to IST!

Search this Thread