Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability disconnect - website

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Award availability disconnect - website

Hello,

I am new to this forum but finding it very informative as I plan an upcoming trip from LGA to LHR. Has anyone else encountered issues where it appears that a UC award is available on the website, but when you try to book via web or phone the award is actually not available, even though it appears that it is on the web. I have encountered that scenario numerous times over the last several days with the virgin awards website, as well as the reward seats website. On rewardseats, it appears that 4 flights have UC availability on a given day (6/14/14 return LHR to LGA), but when I called just now there was no UC availability. i've already booked one UC award seat and one in PE, and am trying to get my husband into UC with me Appreciate any advice!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
It is possible, although unlikely, that each time you go to book the available seat it has already been taken.
Are you calling the Upper Class number or the normal Red/Silver number? The UC number gets answered a lot quicker.

Also, when you check the website after being told there is no availability is there still seats showing?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi Steve Oh,

Yes, after I call (the normal Red number), they say there is no availability, but yet rewardseats.com and virgin awards online still shows availability. I mentioned to the agent that availability shows online, but he said they didn't see it on their system. I checked a few hours later and awards are still showing as available on rewardseats.com. I could try the UC number but am not sure that would resolve. I am based in the US, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by NCconcertgoer
Hi Steve Oh,

Yes, after I call (the normal Red number), they say there is no availability, but yet rewardseats.com and virgin awards online still shows availability. I mentioned to the agent that availability shows online, but he said they didn't see it on their system. I checked a few hours later and awards are still showing as available on rewardseats.com. I could try the UC number but am not sure that would resolve. I am based in the US, not sure if that makes a difference.
Only real difference is that they answer quicker so you spend less time fussing.

Just another point to note - when checking on the VS site, you are changing the number of seats you want aren't you, ie 3 passengers, and not just leaving it at one.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
This is interesting as recently as I phoned up to make a PE booking (as website was saying no UC availability) but on the phone, the agent told me they had 2 UC seats! (so snagged those)

Sounds like there is a disconnect between the website / data feed and the agents systems...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
When someone 'selects' a flight on the website it makes the reward seat in question disappear as taken for 20 minutes.

I've had an agent take my number and call me back as she had to wait 20 minutes for the last reward seat to re-display itself.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:24 am
Original Poster

I checked the website again this morning and it was still showing UC availability for 6/14, so I called and they again said no availability, and that their systems were undergoing a refresh. They also said the last UC award seat was booked 2 days ago, even though for 2 days it has looked like a seat is available online. My trip is still 10 months out so I am hoping that something pops up, but looks like I will have to call daily vs trusting the website info.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:51 am

When did Virgin start flying to/from LGA? its JFK or EWR.

When does it fail online? Anyway, i just did a test and got to the payment screen.

Please give more information : outward date/time, return date/time. and maybe someone will try a dummy booking as a test.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Catch23, thank you. I meant to say JFK to LHR, not LGA. I am trying to get Vs026 on May 29 and Vs009 on June 14. For me it fails after I select the date (from the calendar view) and it never gets to the option to select a particular flight and proceed with payment. Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Catch23, thank you. I meant to say JFK to LHR, not LGA. I am trying to get Vs026 on May 29 and Vs009 on June 14. For me it fails after I select the date (from the calendar view) and it never gets to the option to select a particular flight and proceed with payment. Thanks!
When you say 'calendar view' do you mean a page that has dates and then grey and white squares (with radio buttons)?

If so then you need to note the dates that are available and then start the search again using those dates as the VS system has a long standing hic-up when using this option (they have been told several times about this fault but appear to not want to fix it)

Just doing a dummy booking (which I did for NYC rather than just JFK) there was no availability outbound on the 29th but there was on the 27th but there was availability on the return.

When entering the 27th and the 14th as my dates on the front screen I got plenty of availability but I didn't check which actual flights were available. Remember rewards are not always available on every flight on every date.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reason: extra / edit
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Uktravelbear, thanks for the info on the long standing bug! I have never booked a VS award ticket before so was not aware. I was in that screen with the calendar and radio buttons, now will try your suggestion. Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
When you say 'calendar view' do you mean a page that has dates and then grey and white squares (with radio buttons)?

If so then you need to note the dates that are available and then start the search again using those dates as the VS system has a long standing hic-up when using this option (they have been told several times about this fault but appear to not want to fix it)

Just doing a dummy booking (which I did for NYC rather than just JFK) there was no availability outbound on the 29th but there was on the 27th but there was availability on the return.

When entering the 27th and the 14th as my dates on the front screen I got plenty of availability but I didn't check which actual flights were available. Remember rewards are not always available on every flight on every date.
I tried the 14th also and found 4 flights with UC seats on that day on the website to NYC. I selected my flight and called the UC number...and the seats were still not available on their system! I can't book online myself because I already booked an award seat in PE. Maybe there is different availability for a new award ticket in UC versus an movement from PE to UC using miles?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
I tried the 14th also and found 4 flights with UC seats on that day on the website to NYC. I selected my flight and called the UC number...and the seats were still not available on their system! I can't book online myself because I already booked an award seat in PE. Maybe there is different availability for a new award ticket in UC versus an movement from PE to UC using miles?
Definitely not, the UC upgrade and/or UC award ticket are booked into the same fare class, from the same inventory - they are one and the same im afraid.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: VS, HHonors, more...
I've just had the same website - reality disconnect for UC mileage upgrades.

An upgrade is shown as available under Spend Miles -> Reward Flights but on the phone the Virgin reps says there's no availability. If it's correct that the Virgin website is showing G fares and not some other class that can be had as mileage reward tickets, then this is quite annoying.

Has anyone tried the KVS tool to see what it shows (I have it at home, not on the machine I'm using at the moment)?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:39 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by FlyNFoole
Has anyone tried the KVS tool to see what it shows (I have it at home, not on the machine I'm using at the moment)?
Welcome to FT!

What's the Flight #/Date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.