Wiki Posts
Search

Gold status for Life on VS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by woggledog
Been flying with VS for about 15 years now. 510671 down, 489329 miles to go *

Want to see how many miles you've EVER done on VS?

https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/g...42&update.y=15

* Incidentally, that's 51 return flights from LHR to LAX :-(

The link is very useful indeed, although I do keep my own record over the years. If I know this link, I probably wouldn't.

But I believe the miles recorded in our Flying Club account is not the "Base Flow Miles".

Base Flow Miles (BFM) means the actual distance between A and B. This page shows us how VS give us miles based on BFM. http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...iles_table.jsp

It particularly says "For example, the base flown miles between London and New York is 3,458. A flight in Upper Class (J,D,C) would earn 200% of the base flown miles, so you would earn 6,916 miles."

What's been recorded in Flying Club account - without Gold/Silver bonus, is certain % of BFM. If anyone fly Upper and PE a lot, you probably would qualify by earning 10 years gold, but your actual BFM will be much less than showing in your account calculation due to the percentage increase of miles awarded.

But if anyone flying economy with VS a lot, especially within 2006-2012 period, when VS only give 25% or 50% for discounted economy tickets, your actual BFM will be much higher than simply adding the Flying Club miles in your account.

Regardless which class you fly, the BFM is the same.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
Regardless which class you fly, the BFM is the same.
Doesn't seem particularly fair to do it this way. Minimal spenders would get there at the same rate as people spending 10x as much.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Agree, but this is what's been said by VS.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
A good enhancement, to be sure.

Please excuse my cynicism but remember that "Lifetime Gold" means "for the lifetime of Flying Club, which might be a shorter lifetime as that of its members (see BMI Diamond Club Lifetime Gold for further details)"
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Great link - thanks !
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BTW when this offer came out, I asked Virgin if they would relax the rules slightly -- I had been Gold for about 10 years before dropping down due to flying BA more.

I actually have > 1Million "miles" and 290 Tier points but only 9 years of Gold -- so I was close to the target on many counts and if I had known this was coming then I perhaps could have switched some flights to VS during the past year instead of targetting BA Gold.

Now Virgin have confirmed to me that I need to start the 10 years all over again, I obviously have no incentive to fly Virgin and will instead have to focus on maximising BA.

Feels a bit of a shame since I remember being one of the very first Virgin Upper Class passengers back when they changed the whole game .. when was that ???
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: VS LT Gold 1MM, BA Gold, M&M Frequent, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
The T&C says that the 1M miles target relates to miles *flown* - is this purely on revenue tickets or are reward flights included? It's not clear. If it does include reward flights I'm at 733k miles and counting. Only 25 more round trips to SFO to go :-)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I seem to have over 300TP with VS and over 10 years of Au BUT the past few years have been Amex Au. I wonder if that still counts
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Diamond
Has anybody qualified yet?? What do they send you to confirm the details??

Its a great idea and much more attainable than the BA Gold for Life offer!! Mine will be sent to me in July when I reach ten years, but have already gone past the tier point qualifying point!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: VS Gold, UL Gold
I agree the gold for life sounds good. I'm due to get mine on 9 November this year. Still no idea what the perks will be. It comes through at the end of the 10th year. 300 tier points on VS stock only, no code shares. Waiting now for the mail. I clocked my VS points to be around 335 over the 10 years.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone knows if Tier Points earned via VS BofA credit card counts toward Lifetime Status?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by TerryK
Anyone knows if Tier Points earned via VS BofA credit card counts toward Lifetime Status?
No they don't - the only tier points that count are those earned flying on VS metal.

Nick
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
hello - just curious to see if anyone has got to this level and how they managed to track their flights - every time I speak to FC Gold I get a different answer as to how many tier points I have and whether it needs to be 7500 Tier points (new rules) in 10 years or if it can apply across the 16 years I have maintained gold - it would of course be nice if they had a part of their website to show you were you are like BA do but little chance of that happening I guess...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: virgin

this is a dead link now - is there a way on the 'new' website to locate your lifetime numbers?

thanks
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
No I eventually called customer relations who confirmed my TP level and am now lifetime gold thank goodness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.