Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sinking feeling about VS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: QF PlatinumOne, VS Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold, Virgin Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PCR Platinum
The tie up with Delta is a good long term strategy for VS so there is not need to jump ship!

SQ was a terrible partner with VS and never maximized their potential of codesharing and partnering in the first 10 years of the relationship. SQ is such a pretentious airline that it did not want to be associated with VS flyers on SQ that it refused to integrate Frequent flyer benefits or status. Delta will as quickly as they can look to maximize all they can from he Virgin brand and the value of their Gold flyingclub members. They will merge benefits by 1July,2013 and Skyteam by year end and fast tracked by Delta!

As for you dilemma as to fly SQ or VS to Melbourne? Does one transit in SIN with a crap lounge even if refurbishing or the great little loft in HKG? Yes the onboard seat on SQ is better in the A380 for sure as is the space, but remember why you fly VS! It's the ability to be yourself, free an indictable and goto the bar as ou please, chat with the crew or fellow passengers at the bar and have real conversation or fly on SQ with its robotic yet great service? I would go VS but for sure SQ in First!

Watch within the next 2 years Virgin Australia and Hawaiian will be closer aligned to Delta and Skyteam too!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by jeffers
Does anyone else have a bit of a sinking feeling about VS?

I dunno, just the fact that there seems to be quite a lot of changes at the top lately, operating at a loss, delaying new aircraft etc. The Delta purchase of the SQ shares doesn't fill me with confidence either.

I am a gold with VS, but I'm really starting to think about using other airlines and picking a new one to go with, as looking long term, I can't say I'm confident about the chances of VS actually surviving.
A least the Christmas gift this year (nice cashmere scarf in VS colors) is much improved over last year (book by Sir Richard-- self-describing how great he and his companies are)...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Adventure
As for you dilemma as to fly SQ or VS to Melbourne? Does one transit in SIN with a crap lounge even if refurbishing or the great little loft in HKG? Yes the onboard seat on SQ is better in the A380 for sure as is the space, but remember why you fly VS! It's the ability to be yourself, free an indictable and goto the bar as ou please, chat with the crew or fellow passengers at the bar and have real conversation or fly on SQ with its robotic yet great service? I would go VS but for sure SQ in First!
Rousing speech! You do make good points, and I do fly VS because I feel comfortable on board.

You're right on the service; I've got a LHR-EWR return and LHR-SYD return both in upper coming up, I'll try and really not take the service level for granted and compare it to SQ and QR.

Seems more people are confident than not about the Delta thing, and someone made a good point about the A380 orders; the 787 is much more inline with the VS brand and can't wait to see what they do with the interior - just hope they don't get deferred ridiculously long.

On the Melbourne note, I've been furiously searching around for new news about VS going into MEL, but can't seem to find anything new does anyone know of any updates regarding this?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:29 am

I would love it also. I think it was mentioned (along with X,Y,Z) but not in a while! Top of my personal list is Sao Paulo - even thougb Rio is more on brand. Mexico City would be nice too. Seattle seems obviously with the Delta deal.

A Manchester - HKG - Melbourne flight (crossing over with LHR-HKG-SYD) might be handy, and cover off all sorts of journey combinations. You have to get off at HKG anyway so it's no odds if all synchronised to the same times.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cazoz
A Manchester - HKG - Melbourne flight (crossing over with LHR-HKG-SYD) might be handy, and cover off all sorts of journey combinations. You have to get off at HKG anyway so it's no odds if all synchronised to the same times.
I actually live up north (Lancaster) so MAN would be even better although it would be a shame to miss out on the LHR CH.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:22 am

Yes, and you need the CH to remind you why VS is worth flying!

It'd be good though. They used to be a bit more adventurous with new routes. That would be something quite unique. I think they were in Shanghai before BA for instance!

Rather than YVR for example which I didn't really understand.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Yup never quite got that one either. Again with the branding, I think Melbourne fits the VS brand extremely well.

Anyway, I get good tier points connecting SYD-MEL in J on VA for now
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Deferring A380 orders rather than canceling is probably the VS strategy. They will probably run their refitted 747s to the ground and then replace them with A380s. After all, downgrading a VLA on their successful leisure routes from a 747 to something smaller is not a wise business strategy.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by slinky09
Au contraire, I see the DL relationship to be one that significantly boosts VS's future and will bring a great deal of opportunity. Thinking about your other points:

- Well the top mngmt have been there a long time.
- The loss is regretable, but for example Air France, American Airlines, Iberia, even Lufthansa have made recent losses.
- BA have deferred their A380 deliveries, does that make you feel less confident in BA, or many other airlines that have deferred deliveries in recent years?

Glass half full perhaps?
BA didn't defer theirs, they were delayed - deliveries start next year
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
BA didn't defer theirs, they were delayed - deliveries start next year
Try reading this or other news stories . Wing issues delayed further then BA opted to take the enhanced version.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Does anyone else have a bit of a sinking feeling about VS?

I dunno, just the fact that there seems to be quite a lot of changes at the top lately, operating at a loss, delaying new aircraft etc. The Delta purchase of the SQ shares doesn't fill me with confidence either.

I am a gold with VS, but I'm really starting to think about using other airlines and picking a new one to go with, as looking long term, I can't say I'm confident about the chances of VS actually surviving.
I agree with 50% of this. A tie-up with a US legacy carrier, even if it is the best of the US legacy carriers, may be good for the bottom line, but I do wonder whether it will improve the passenger experience, never mind the frequent flyer one. One can imagine VS losing a lot that made it distinctive. Having said that, I think that they will survive, and the DL deal helps them in that respect.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I just get the feeling with VS that they have lost sight of what made them the great airline they once were.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I just get the feeling with VS that they have lost sight of what made them the great airline they once were.
This is kinda where I was coming from...I honestly don't see how VS ties up with DL from the VS brand point of view, they are polar opposites (I've never flown with DL though so I may be talking nonsense, just an outsider view of them).

Like the 2nd last poster said, it is gonna help their bottom line, but long term, I just dont see it from a brand perspective, and that's what makes VS who they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.