Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy 49% stake in VS (from SQ)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:11 am

Delta's own ATL routes have been a little rubbish to India, China and the like - slightly overblown demand forecasts, and moves to New York airports.

Virgin's network and name in the Middle and Far East could help them too. Their brand is terrible in the UK also.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
My big pile of crappy Delta miles is ready to be shipped off to London for some SFO-LHR seats in Upper Class!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:53 am

From the Daily Telegraph

"As well as sharing costs and revenues from all joint venture flights the deal will see Virgin and Delta share airport lounges and frequent flier points. "
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
From the Daily Telegraph

"As well as sharing costs and revenues from all joint venture flights the deal will see Virgin and Delta share airport lounges and frequent flier points. "
I still have two "next time" cards for the onboard massage from years ago. I'm so ready to use 'em.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by davewho??
I hope the bean counters @DL don't nickel and dime too much so that VS doesn't lose it's character.
It is one thing when your partner / investor is the world's top airline. It is quite another when it is Delta. When General Motors bought 49% of SAAB what we eventually got was a Chevy with SAAB branding.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
My big pile of crappy Delta miles is ready to be shipped off to London for some SFO-LHR seats in Upper Class!
Yeah - good luck with that redemption! You think DL's hard wait until you try VS
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by spainflyer
It is one thing when your partner / investor is the world's top airline. It is quite another when it is Delta. When General Motors bought 49% of SAAB what we eventually got was a Chevy with SAAB branding.
The difference is Delta is proving they can make a profitable airline... which is quite impressive. Isn't Dickie's own favorite phrase that the best way to become a millionaire is to start with a billion and then form an airline? GM on the other hand has shown it's inability to make cars. And SAAB had no clue how to run a company profitability. So putting the two together had inevitable results.

I am optimistic about this. DL is aggressively expanding itself into the world's largest airline. I love flying SQ but I don't think they are realistically anything like the "world's top airline" from a business standpoint. Indeed they are bleeding money and just locked in another big loss on this investment (presumably already written down but still). In reality I think DL is more interested in the slots than the airline itself but I think they also see value in a tight JV to put pressure on the BA/AA juggernaut on LHR-JFK.

And if by some miracle I'm able to redeem SkyPesos on VX without YQ fees I'd be very happy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
Yeah - good luck with that redemption! You think DL's hard wait until you try VS
It can't be any worse for me. Delta miles have earned their reputation for being the least valuable among the major USA carriers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Red face

First impression: O, Richard, wherefore art thou?! What's become of our favorite billionaire heroes? First, George Lucas sells out, now you.

Second thought:

Originally Posted by dhuey
+1!

Third thought: Will the spawn be lots more near-TATL 757 rides replacing Virgin widebodies?

Last edited by Firewind; Dec 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by davewho??
Why would they when SQ had 49% they didn't goto *A.
As far as I'm aware, VS applied to join *A on a couple of occasions over the last decade and was always nixed by bmi (who saw VS as an LHR competitor) and Untied Airlines (who saw them as a competitor on Trans-Atlantic routes). Supposedly Lufthansa were also lukewarm when it came to them joining.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, SPG, IHC: Plat Ambasador
As VS Gold sitting on 750K miles, I'm not happy for VS to have any association with an airline I consider so fundamentally crappy that I refuse to book them.

Am I overreacting?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by alexr_ft
Am I overreacting?
Be thankful that it wasn't United?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
As VS Gold sitting on 750K miles, I'm not happy for VS to have any association with an airline I consider so fundamentally crappy that I refuse to book them.

Am I overreacting?
Depends, why did you consider them fundamentally crappy, and when?

DL has come a long way over the past few years. While their treatment of their FF base is hit (service recovery) or miss (stealth devaluations), their onboard product is steadily improving, and the company appears to be one of the few airlines that actually seems to understand financial discipline.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Well, well... What comes around, goes around. Seven years ago, DL was a partner with VS, to the extent that you could earn VS miles and tier points while flying DL. Now, the partnership is back again but on stronger terms. Congratulations!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:06 pm

Am I overreacting?
I would feel the same way were I in your shoes. I've been playing this game for a long time and there's only one FF program that I've thought was crap. That one is Delta's. With every other program I have been able to get reasonable value for my miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.