Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Please help translate this fare basis code into actual fare rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold

Hello,

I found a good price for a VS flight on vayama.com. They display the fare basis code, but don't go into details on what the rules mean. I've tried searching, but I haven't had much luck. I want to make sure I have a clear understanding of any possible change/cancellation fees before I purchase the ticket.

Here's the code: ZLAOOW

The Z means that it's discounted business class. I have a feeling that the OW at the end indicates One Way. How can I translate the rest of the rules associated with this ticket?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
You cannot buy a Z one way so the OW does not indicate that. Have you tried booking on the VS web site (see whether you get the same price and there you can view the full fare conditions before you confirm), and a handy reference to some of the restrictions can be found on V-Flyer here.

Note are you buying in the US or the UK? I ask because if you buy from VS in the US you can change dates on a Z fare for $500 I believe, if buying from the UK then a Z fare is very restricted and often the only way to change is to pay to up it to a flexible fare, and sometimes it's cheaper to cancel and pay again.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I have tried booking @ the VS website, and I definitely do NOT get the same price. As such, I can't confirm that the fare basis is the same. I'd found the v-flyer site in my search, but all it does is confirm that a Z fare is in Upper Class.

I'm buying in the US.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing: ITT=OW&YC=0&cl=Y&IC=0&PC=1&CC=0&OR=YVR&DT1=0409201 2&AR=LHR&ref=vay_share_link&pdt=deals
(That seems to be the closest I can get to a good link; you might have to select "business" on the left side of the screen)

The fare basis has now changed to ZCAIT.

Edit: Hmmm...now it's back to ZLAOOW. Maybe someone can help me translate both basis codes so I can see which one I want to book

Last edited by OverThereTooMuch; Jul 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.