Wiki Posts
Search

Booking reward flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Booking reward flights

Hi,

I have 85k miles but will need 95k to book my 2 x economy reward flights (LGW>UVF>LGW) for May 2013. They are now available but I am not sure if I should:

a) Book 1 now and 1 later (then if availability goes i still have 1 flight booked with my miles)
b) Wait a couple of months and book both reward seats early sept
c) Buy the 10k miles I need just to be safe...

I will get the miles by sept/oct through my VA credit card but I have been saving miles for 2 years and really don't want to miss out on the limited seats available...

Not sure how soon these reward flights disappear...

Any thoughts?

Floppy.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 pm

Have you thought about other ways of getting the miles?

I got 5000 for starting a isa with virgin money. Do you use Tesco clubcard vouchers for miles? Or do your shopping via shops away.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given that you will need to pay £££ for the VS fuel surcharge, airport fees and APD your miles won't actually get you that much value in terms of a 'free flight'

Factor in the £ you would pay out to buy the 10k miles you say you need and to me the economics of your plans may look even more shakey.

Do some dummy bookings - cash ticket and spend miles to see how much the difference in costs is.

TBH miles redemptions for Economy really is not that good a value for the miles you have to pay over.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA, AA
If you are intending to redeem your miles for economy seats, you might want to consider buying the extra and booking in the next week because there is a reward seat sale on where Premium Economy seats can be redeemed for the same number of miles as an Economy seat. At least this way you get a little more for your miles, even if you do have to purchase 10,000 or so to get the 95,000!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:33 am

From the dummy bookings I have always looked at. Miles and Money seats appear to be the best value for economy/premium economy especially if your not worried about status or earning extra miles.

You could also look at transferring your miles to a hotel provider like Holiday Inn. They do discounted rooms per night for 15k worth of points and some cash which I think is 1 for 1 with Virgin Miles.

As a previous posted has mentioned, you need to do some dummy bookings and see what's the best option is for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.