FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Booking reward flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1365511-booking-reward-flights.html)

floppyarms Jul 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Booking reward flights

Hi,

I have 85k miles but will need 95k to book my 2 x economy reward flights (LGW>UVF>LGW) for May 2013. They are now available but I am not sure if I should:

a) Book 1 now and 1 later (then if availability goes i still have 1 flight booked with my miles)
b) Wait a couple of months and book both reward seats early sept
c) Buy the 10k miles I need just to be safe...

I will get the miles by sept/oct through my VA credit card but I have been saving miles for 2 years and really don't want to miss out on the limited seats available...

Not sure how soon these reward flights disappear...

Any thoughts?

Floppy.

pappap647 Jul 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Have you thought about other ways of getting the miles?

I got 5000 for starting a isa with virgin money. Do you use Tesco clubcard vouchers for miles? Or do your shopping via shops away.

UKtravelbear Jul 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Given that you will need to pay £££ for the VS fuel surcharge, airport fees and APD your miles won't actually get you that much value in terms of a 'free flight'

Factor in the £ you would pay out to buy the 10k miles you say you need and to me the economics of your plans may look even more shakey.

Do some dummy bookings - cash ticket and spend miles to see how much the difference in costs is.

TBH miles redemptions for Economy really is not that good a value for the miles you have to pay over.

rjch19 Jul 11, 2012 4:13 pm

If you are intending to redeem your miles for economy seats, you might want to consider buying the extra and booking in the next week because there is a reward seat sale on where Premium Economy seats can be redeemed for the same number of miles as an Economy seat. At least this way you get a little more for your miles, even if you do have to purchase 10,000 or so to get the 95,000!

currybeast Jul 14, 2012 11:33 am

From the dummy bookings I have always looked at. Miles and Money seats appear to be the best value for economy/premium economy especially if your not worried about status or earning extra miles.

You could also look at transferring your miles to a hotel provider like Holiday Inn. They do discounted rooms per night for 15k worth of points and some cash which I think is 1 for 1 with Virgin Miles.

As a previous posted has mentioned, you need to do some dummy bookings and see what's the best option is for you.