Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Pilot suspected of drinking, VS022 delayed 23 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

BBC story
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Interesting... didn't know VS had any Americans in the crew roster still...
Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:59 am

I didn't know TSA screeners were trained in detecting intoxicated people, I wonder what the pilots blood alcohol level was. One day, one of these TSA guys is going to make a big mistake and cost the TSA a lot of money
Old Dec 20, 2003, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jacque:
I didn't know TSA screeners were trained in detecting intoxicated people, I wonder what the pilots blood alcohol level was. One day, one of these TSA guys is going to make a big mistake and cost the TSA a lot of money</font>
Jacque -- I'd be interested to know what you mean here.

I'm no great fan of TSA, but it seems to me that they did the right thing here. If indeed the captain was intoxicated, and it appears that he was at least some level, I for one am glad that he wasn't flying a 747 that night.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
According to teletext tonight The Captain - Richard Harwill, 55 years, has been charged with trying to fly an aeroplane while drunk.

This seems a strange offence - using the term drunk, rather than any reference to exceeding a limit or flying undre the influence of alcohol.

Am I right in thinking that there is a zero tolerance for pilots where drink is concerned?

If so - calling him drunk may be a little over the top.

IMO - IF he was under the influence of alcohol - no matter how slight, it is difficult to have any sympathy for him.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nottingham Nick (edited Dec 20, 2003).]
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nottingham Nick:
According to teletext tonight The Captain - Richard Harwill, 55 years, has been charged with trying to fly an aeroplane while drunk.

This seems a strange offence - using the term drunk, rather than any reference to exceeding a limit or flying undre the influence of alcohol.
</font>
Possibly just a language discrepancy between UK and US English. In US law, there is measurement for being considered "legally drunk." Just the like the charge probably referred to "airplane" instead of "aeroplane."
Old Dec 21, 2003, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Passengers have now arrived and some are being interviewed on BBC Radio's Five Live.

It seems all had a letter from RB with his e-mail address as well as a voucher for a trip anywhere that Virgin flies - and no doubt elites will get a little more in restitution.

Even if he doesn't get to see many of the e-mail messages, well done, RB!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:10 am

Programs: AmEx Plat, VS AG, SPG Gold, Priority Club/IHG Plat Ambassador, HHon Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nottingham Nick:
...IMO - IF he was under the influence of alcohol - no matter how slight, it is difficult to have any sympathy for him.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nottingham Nick (edited Dec 20, 2003).]
</font>
Nick I'm totally with you on this one, if he's been drinking any alcohol he should not be anywhere near the flightdeck!

------------------
Bazz
Still Flying
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:44 am

The operative word is he was "suspected"of being drunk.
The question of the charge using the word drunk is legitimate and regardless of the difference in the US and British view of terminology the word "drunk" is not usually used in a court charge in the USA.
The word used is "intoxicated" You are not tried on a charge of driving while drunk. You are tried on the charge of driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving while under the influence (DUI).

I question why the story has left out the blood alcohol level of the pilot if he was actually charged. Virtually all stories in the US media quote this level in these stories. That is IF the pilot was tested.

I also doubt that the TSA has the ability to determine if anyone is drunk ACCORDING TO LEGAL DEFINITION. Smelling booze does not make a person drunk or impaired.

The timing of the stories was also suspect as they appeared the following night at approximately the time that nights flight was getting ready to depart which gave the impression that it was a current story and not a day old and was on all so called 24 hours news channels. Why the delay ?

Let's give the pilot his day in court before he is tried in the media and on this web site.

Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:18 am

"Let's give the pilot his day in court before he is tried in the media and on this web site. "

I couldn't agree with that more.

The point of my post was to see if anyone has any idea of the FACTS of the case, as opposed to media speculation.

The reporting of ongoing police / court matters on either side of the Atlantic is vastly different - in the UK - once a person is charged with a criminal offence the matter is sub judice and all that SHOULD be reported are his / her personal details and the offence alleged - that way he / she can have their day in court and be judged by their peers in the form of a jury or magistrates. That is the theory anyway!

In the US - it seems to me - that far more details of the investigation are reported, usually including comments from prosecuters, defence attourneys et al as to the facts of the case.

In this specific case we have two possible extremes ranging from the chap having a single drink over eight hours before flying but still having a breath problem - to him being severely under the influence of alcohol whilst attempting to board an aeroplane with the intention of piloting it!

As a police officer (albeit a detective - and a British one at that ) I would have thought that the fact (if it is a fact) that he was kept in custody, rather than being bailed, would indicate that it was taken VERY seriously by the authorities.

All I am after is a true account of what took place.

Nick
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a police officer (albeit a detective - and a British one at that ) ...
</font>
I thought Nick was your name, but now I see it's your address, the Nottingham Nick .

[edited for punctuation]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited Dec 22, 2003).]
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:01 am

Roger -

Thank goodness Jim Davidson is not considered funny any more.

Everyone who said 'Nick Nick' to me was convinced it was the first time I had heard it
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roger -

Thank goodness Jim Davidson is not considered funny any more.

</font>
Was he ever ?

Sorry not to be original (eats humble pie) but I also get 'rogering' attacks from time to time - and I guess that will be meaningless to our North American cousins.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Wash Post had an extended article in the Metro section today. No mention of a blood/alchol test or results. Only that passport had been taken.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:07 am

Lots of coverage in the UK media about him being bailed and having to stay in the USA.

At the risk of repeating myself- still no word about blood / alcohol levels.

Interestingly in the Daily Mail (not known for ever reporting bits of stories that don't suit them) his lawyer, Thomas Hill, appears to make a big play about what a reliable man he is and that he would certainly turn up for his bail - but nowhere does he make any comment about his innocence or how much he had drunk before being arrested.

Again - I don't want to presume anything, or convict the man by media, but I will watch developements with interest - whilst still flying VS whenever I can.

BOS in February is next I think - hoping the sales are still going and the pound still buys $1.70!!

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.