Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Virgin virgin has a question...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

A Virgin virgin has a question...

Sorry for the cheesy heading, but wanted to draw attention to the post! I'm currently scheduled to fly on VS in the near future from IAD-LHR in Economy, and was wondering about a few things:

1) How far in advance do I need to be at the airport? It's a very heavily booked flight, and the telephone reps say 3 hours or more, but I have very rarely showed up this early for any flight and have never had problems. Is it any different on VS? Will I have a better chance at an operational upgrade if I show up early?

2) Anyone know if the 744 they operate out of IAD is V:PORT-equipped? Virginflyer.com gives a slim chance but I figured that you never know.

3) Will my CO Gold status count for anything on VS? From what I understand it means nothing officially, but unofficially, has anyone received any perks?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 1:01 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Op-upgrades are at a minimum, and when they do happen due to overbooking there is a fairly strict pecking order (V.50 first, then VS Golds and so on). Perceived wisdom seems to be checkin early for best chance (that's been my experience) but in any case there could be queues so I would guess 2-3 hours is your window.

V:Port is only on two 747-400s (Cosmic Girl and Tinker Belle). Both have had the odd flight to IAD so you may get lucky but I wound't bank on it.

Dunno about CO Gold. I used to have this status when I flew the CO/VS code share regularly but never got any perks.

BC
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:25 am

Programs: Various
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by in31122:
Sorry for the cheesy heading, but wanted to draw attention to the post! I'm currently scheduled to fly on VS in the near future from IAD-LHR in Economy, and was wondering about a few things:

1) How far in advance do I need to be at the airport? It's a very heavily booked flight, and the telephone reps say 3 hours or more, but I have very rarely showed up this early for any flight and have never had problems. Is it any different on VS? Will I have a better chance at an operational upgrade if I show up early?

2) Anyone know if the 744 they operate out of IAD is V:PORT-equipped? Virginflyer.com gives a slim chance but I figured that you never know.

3) Will my CO Gold status count for anything on VS? From what I understand it means nothing officially, but unofficially, has anyone received any perks?

Thanks for any help you can give.
</font>
1. BlackCat has already summed this up really. Check-in opens 4 hours before the scheduled departure time - before the flight even opens they know how busy they are going to be, who is flying, what status various people have and the vast majority of op-upgrades are done at this point - before the flight opens. IAD is a busy business route and there will be a number of people with some form of status with VS on the route, so your chances of an OpUpgrade are at an absolute minimum. On the return leg from LHR, 3 hours is a must as the flight departs around hte same time as a few others, and the check-in queue for Economy at LHR will be huge (bring a book to read.

2. VirginFlyer is the definitive guide. Plane changes happen regularly depending on a multitude of factors. You may get lucky and get V.POrt (I've been to IAD on a 744 with V.Port earlier in the year), but even if you don't you'll still get a good quality IFE system. Odyssey offers a good selection of media to choose from and in my preference has the Super Nintendo Gateway system - I can sit palying Super MArio Bros for hours

3. I don't do CO after their performance in July in regards to IDB.

Thanks,
Richard

Old Nov 20, 2003, 4:17 am

Programs: OnePass
As a Continental Platinum, I got zero recognition flying LHR-IAD in coach last week.

I wasn't expecting any perks, but I wanted to see if I could use a shorter line (Premium economy?) instead of standing in the very long coach line. I asked the VS agent standing at the head of the queue if, as a CO Plat, I had the privelege of checking in at a shorter line. She said that the regular coach line was the shortest line :-).

Even with 5 or 6 agents checking-in the coach passengers, it took about half an hour to reach the head of the queue. Also factor that this was not a busy day, and my flight was far from full.

I did get one break. VS has a 6 kg limit for carry-on baggage (this rule is even flashing very prominently on their video screens above the check-in stations). My carry-on weighed in at 7.3 kg. I've heard VS is very strict about the 6 kg rule, but this particular agent let me carry it. Maybe she made an exception because it was my only bag or maybe it was my pleasant smile and chatter. Who knows, maybe it was my CO Plat status...

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited Nov 20, 2003).]
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:37 am

Programs: Various
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anthonyanthony:
As a Continental Platinum, I got zero recognition flying LHR-IAD in coach last week.</font>
Just the same way I got zero recognition on CO with my VS Au - its all about mileage earning ability.

Not to be rude, but I like it that way, I don't want to see my beloved Clubhouses flooded with CO premium tiers, just like it used to be with AmEx Plat's in the UK.

Thanks,
Richard

Old Nov 20, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
I don't want to see my beloved Clubhouses flooded with CO premium tiers, just like it used to be with AmEx Plat's in the UK.
</font>
I agree. Well, I do now that I have Gold status & AmexCent.

BC
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:33 pm

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
Just the same way I got zero recognition on CO with my VS Au [...]
Not to be rude, but I like it that way,
</font>
I can understand that. I certainly had no expectations of getting any kind of benefit as CO elite when I flew VS, and I wasn't disappointed. But I think one small benefit that each airline (VS, CO) can extend to the the other's elites without much cost is allowing VS elite to check-in in CO's elite lines, and CO elite to check in at VS Premium Econ lines. It doesn't seem to me that that would result in a flood of elites choking each other's lines.....or would it?
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:26 am

I have flown VS metal in economy on a CO codeshare before (LHR-NYC-LHR) and was allowed to use Upper Class check-in at both (as a CO Gold Elite). I had tried to use PE check-in at LHR, but got directed to use the Upper Class check-in instead.

So you can use Upper Class check-in as a CO Gold if checking in for a CO flight number (code-sharing on Virgin). Don't know if that works for a CO Elite checking in for a strictly VS flight...

I wouldn't expect (and didn't get) anything else as a CO Elite.

Boo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.