Community
Wiki Posts
Search

coach info please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

coach info please

Hi could anyone tell me how virgin's coach compares with coach in the us? legroom same or less/more? Also if I understand right they charge extra to sit in the exit row....any way to sit there, if say, no one pays their ridiculous fee?

thanks

virgin 12 and 16, march 04
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:27 pm

Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA AA Plat. 1.4MM, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red, fly fisher
Space is a little tight, but the entertainment options are much greater. I don't mind the legroom if I have something to keep my mind occupied. You can ride the exit rows for free, if they are empty after take off. The food is better, too.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:26 am

Programs: OnePass
I recently flew Virgin for the first time, in coach. I usually fly Continental (or Northwest to Asia).

Virgin has very good in-flight entertainment -- whereas CO might have one or maybe two A-list (recent popular) movies with other B list junk, Virgin had 4 A-list movies in addition to other B-list options to choose from. Virgin also has a wider selection of video games on their IFE.

Virgin offered three choices of entrees to coach passengers, instead of the usual two you might get on US airlines.

Virgin gave out amenity kits in coach consisting of a flashy plastic logo bag/pouch with a draw-string containing your headphones, logo pen, logo notepad, toothbrush, socks, tissues, eye-shade, ear plugs, and maybe something else I can't remember. It was all cheap junk to be sure, but I never got anything like that in coach on a US airline (better even than the amenity kit in BA's world traveler plus).

I also nominate Virgin's video safety announcement to be the best of any airline. It was very humorous and memorable.

The FA's on my flight were very nice and full of smiles. Love that red uniform they wear.

No in-flight magazine, though.

I don't know the exact pitch of the coach seats on Virgin, but I was comfortable (althought I'm not a tall person). As for exit rows, I never inquired about them. My preference is to always ask for an aisle seat next to an empty seat. I ask when I check in, and once more in the gate area before I board. Having that empty seat next to me is more comfortable than an exit row seat sitting next to another person.

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited Nov 18, 2003).]
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:08 am
Lux

Have a look here

http://www.airnet.co.uk/loadframe.as...tpitchinfo.htm

It suggests that VS is 32", although my memories of it suggest it is smaller than this. In line with most US carriers except AA (in whose coach class I've just survived two consecutive overnight flights).

Edited to say that the extra inches in coach on AA made all the difference for this 6' guy - would recommend over Virgin if you want to sleep.

[This message has been edited by Lux (edited Nov 20, 2003).]
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:38 am

Programs: Various
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
any way to sit there, if say, no one pays their ridiculous fee?
</font>

Business is business - there is a sufficent amount of people that are willign to pay for the extra leg-room.

Having status with the airline would help too.

I've never flown longhaul in Economy with anyone but VS, so can't really help. Have done a number of US internal flights in Y though. The service, food and Entertainment makes the difference on Virgin.

Thanks
Richard
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:50 am

Programs: Various
Missed a few things:

There used to be an Inflight Magazine - Hot Air which used to be quite good but that went after 9/11. There is a kind of lifestyle magazine 'Carlos' in Upper Class which is okay.

On the Inflight Safety Video, yes its good (love the Liam Gallagher parody) but the one before it was even better - Leslie Phillips, Susannah York? and Ewan MacGregor - 'Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and girls' will always remind me of this classic little video.

Thanks,
Richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.