Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin flight to LAX diverts to ONT due to storm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

I like the fact that according to a witness Ontario is now near San Diego. Since it's printed in the press it must now be true
Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:21 pm

Ontario, Southern California, is about two/three hours drive North of San Diego. Ontario, near LA, would be more apt!

Quite funny really, they landed at an airport probably about 1.5 hours drive from LAX. Sounds as though the real problem was that there were no customs agents to receive them...

Boo
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Wondering why VS didn't drop into LAS earlier or divert to SFO if they knew ONT was a no go for clearing pax's...
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:32 am

Is very odd (especially since they normal fly almost DIRECTLY over LAS - its great when you can spot it out of the window ). Just sounds as though they were completely disorganised...

Boo
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:47 pm

Best to remember that the airline does not get a choice in this type of situation. It is all up to the folks at ATC. They put the planes where they can as fast as they can.

Been many a time when flights from overseas have landed here in Sacramento when SFO has gone off line for whatever reason.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:21 pm

Location: Santa Clara, CA, USA AA Plat. 1.4MM, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red, fly fisher
Coming into ORD from CDG, about two months ago, we ended up landing at a United Parcel Service hub about 100 miles outside of Chicago, due to weather. Not only did it not have Immigration, it did not have jetways. We sat there 5 hours on the plane and then flew back over to Chicago. There were 5 other planes diverted there, also.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:50 pm

I thought the pilot consulted with his or her company dispatcher and then asked for a clearance to the diversion airport based on their mutual decision?

Could be that the flight held closer to LAX and the did not have the fuel to go back to LAS?
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lukeaa:
Coming into ORD from CDG, about two months ago, we ended up landing at a United Parcel Service hub about 100 miles outside of Chicago, due to weather. Not only did it not have Immigration, it did not have jetways. We sat there 5 hours on the plane and then flew back over to Chicago. There were 5 other planes diverted there, also.</font>
Good old Rockford, IL!

Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
Sounds as though the real problem was that there were no customs agents to receive them. </font>
ONT is my home airport and I frequently fly to and from Mexico from there so I know there are customs agents and facilities available. Guess they don't just hang around waiting for diverted flights so you're probably correct in this conclusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.