Wiki Posts
Search

BOS - LHR : Rookie to VS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2003, 6:58 am
Original Poster

BOS - LHR : Rookie to VS

Hi,

I have dceided to try VS Upper Class in late November from BOS-LHR. The aircraft shows an A340-600. Can someone tell me what the big product differences are on this aircraft type versus the 747? I gather the IFE system and seats will be much better (all new) but from reading a few posts the overall cabin is not as spacious as on the 747s. It also looks like a heack of a lot more seats in UC on the 340s. Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2003, 8:49 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Seats will be the same as on the majority of Heathrow 747s, i.e. J2000 unless VS are taking delivery of an A340-600 with the new suites prior to your flight. And even then you are still likely to get J2000.

The cabin feels a little more cramped than the downstairs of a 747 -- keep away from the bar area if you want to sleep. There is also less room in the overhead bins so watch those carry ons! If you are travelling on your own then a D/G seat (in the middle of the 2-2-2 configuration) will ensure you don't disturb your neighbour (or vice versa) if you get up.

The IFE is V:Port which is great -- only a couple of the 747s have it but all the A340-600s do. For more info on the IFE and the seat layout (including which are the best seats) then let me redirect you to pixuk's excellent www.virginflyer.com site.

And you are right, since a 747 spreads J between two decks, it looks like a huge number of Upper Class seats in the new airbus. Personally I much prefer the 747-400 -- upstairs on night flights, in the nose for day flights (2-2 configuration) and a much more spacious bar area.

BC

[This message has been edited by BlackCat (edited 10-25-2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
I will also have my first VS UC experience from BOS-LHR, but in late January. Based on what I've been able to ascertain from ITN and other sources, however, the BOS-LHR service is being operated by the A340-300, not the A340-600.

From where did you get the info that VS would use a A340-600 on this routing? One can only hope that's what's going on, because it then increases the likeliehood of v ort!
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:10 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
What is the approximate time table for getting the new suites on either the BOS>LHR or JFK>LHR routes? I am looking at travel sometime in 2004.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:51 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
To answer both questions:

Virgin are allegedly going to phase out the A340-300s in favour of -600s. However this will undoubtedly take some time.

Suites are already in operation on a single plane flying to JFK. Virgin has unhelpfully given no timetable information for roll out across the fleet that I am aware of.

Regards,

BC
Old Nov 17, 2003, 7:31 am

Hi GoldenRetriever,

New here, but not new to Virgin.

I did LHR-BOS-LHR last week, we had an A340-300 on the way out and a 600 on the return leg. It was a leisure trip on my own money, so out in PE, but got upgraded on the overnight return. On the overnight the Upper Class cabin is split into the Sleepzone, where there is only a breakfast service to allow sleep with little disturbance, and a normal Upper Class section with full service. One suggestion, try and get a seat forward of the bar, it can get a bit noisy there.

Bon Voyage

VSlf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.