Wiki Posts
Search

Menu Request!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Menu Request!

Hi...just curious about the UC menu, specifically USA-LHR. I searched and found one from Nottingham Nick, it was great, but does anyone have any others? Thanks all in advance...BTW, are they paper (like you can carry off the plane) or are the menus in books like in a restaurant?
Thanks
steven
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:11 pm

I have an EWR-LHR December menu that I can give you info/transcribe if you'd like. In fact, there is also a "Christmas" menu insert in addition the main one.

I would not call the menus 'paper' in the 8.5x11" sense, nor are they books. They are a heavier paper material that opens up like a pamphlet.

The menu is at my office, so it may have to wait a day to transcribe, but let me know if you are interested.

[This message has been edited by dsimon (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:56 am

I have Dec 26th LHR-LAX menu (including Xmas stuff) and a Jan 3rd LAX-LHR menu at home (not on me now).

They are a paper/card folder thing, although the FAs tend to walk around to collect them at the end of the flight. So I don't know what the FA thought as she refiled through my seat pocket looking for my menu...

Is there anything particular that you want to know about the menus or do you just like to read them?

I put a Virgin trip report on the trip report forum in August 2001, but there is something funny with the forum archiving at the moment (dead links) - so it may be hard to find.

Boo
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thanks for your quick responses...yes, if you could, a transcription would be great, what i'm mainly curious about is whether a hot breakfast is offered on the short east-coast to LHR flights (since most bus. class have cut that). Thanks all,
Steven
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:09 am

Ah, have only flown LHR-LAX-LHR and LGW-MIA-LGW (if the latter counts as East Coast, I assume it does).

Both routes serve a hot breakfast (normally in the form of a choice of a bacon roll or an "all day" cooked breakfast) along with the normal continental things (breakfast breads, fruit and normally some cereal too). Since it is a freedom menu, you could order the "all day" breakfast for dinner after you coard if you wanted to.

Personally I normally have a bacon roll and some fruit for breakfast (always want to try the cooked breakfast, but never feel hungry enough - so don't know how good it is). Bacon roll is normally good though.

The alternative to cooked breakfast on board is to have one in the arrivals lounge - if you have time. Do Virgin do cooked breakfast in Revivals (I have never used their arrivals lounge because I always get Continental tickets)? British Airways definitely have a very good breakfast in their arrivals lounge at Heathrow T4 (although it can get a little busy in there...).

If I have time, I will try to type my menus in over the weekend.

Boo
Old Jan 16, 2003, 7:14 am

From VS2, EWR-LHR on December 26, 2002

Freedom gives you complete choice to plan your eating experiences on today’s flight.

The crew prepare your food to order so it will take a little time.

nibbles

Black pepper and olive oil potato chips

Oriental snack mix

just for starters

Virgin’s house salad
seasonal leaves served with tear drop tomatoes, cucumber, onion and red cabbage with
peppercorn ranch dressing

Freshly prepared soup
corn chowder served with a choice of warm breads

bigger bites

Red Thai chicken
chicken breast cooked in coconut milk, lemon grass, red chilli, coriander and basil
served with jasmine rice and vegetable stir-fry

Grilled halibut
served with steamed cous cous, tomato glazed zucchini and lemon tarragon cream sauce

Vegetable paella
saffron infused rice cooked with tomatoes, garlic and onions topped with peppers, green
beans, carrots, black olives and pimento

All-night breakfast
pork sausage, omelette, fried red bliss potato wedges and mushroom tomato ragout

to complement

From the bakery
cracked wheat baguette, garlic bread & herb knot

From the breakfast basket
toasted bagel, butter croissant and cranberry & orange muffin

Pick your own
a selection of seasonal whole fruit

lighter bites

Bacon roll
soft white roll filled with grilled bacon and your choice of tomato ketchup or brown
sauce

Breakfast cereal
Cornflakes, Weetabix, Sultana Bran and Special K

Seasonal fresh fruit
served on its own or with natural yoghurt

say cheese

Manchego
hard Spanish cheese with a firm dry texture made from ewe’s milk

Sage Derby
vegetarian cheese with sage added to this Derby cheese

Maytag blue
crumbly textured cheese with a very special flavour

offered with cream crackers. Bath Olivers and seedless grapes

naughty but nice

Heath bar cheesecake
creamy caramel cheesecake topped with crunchy toffee candy and chocolate chips

Cinammon ice-cream
available on its own or drizzled with a warm raisin sauce

anytime…

Simply help yourself to fruit, nibbles and chocolate at the bar
Tea or coffee from our hot ‘n’ herbal selection

May we recommend…

snack & snooze
Corn chowder soup

Bacon roll

lighter & healthier

lighter & healthier
Virgin’s house saad

Grilled halibut

Seasonal whole fruit

and for later
Breakfast cereal

All-night breakfast

Cup of tea

In accordance with government security regulations, Virgin Atlantic may only supply
Plastic cutlery on board your flight. Thank you for understanding

Our sincerest apologies if the last portion of your choice has been eaten, as the captain won’t stop off to pick up any more. Your crew will be pleased to suggest an alternative.

VS002/4/10/12/22/46

I also have the Christmas Menu and menu for VS003 if anyone is interested in the transcription for those.

[This message has been edited by dsimon (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:25 am

Okay, that will save me typing the menu from VS24 LAX-LHR on 3rd January 2003 - its identical...

Boo
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks very much, dsimon for posting the menu.

I had it on VS 22 IAD-LHR on 4th Jan.

I had the Thai Chicken and Cinnammon ice cream for dinner ( I had bread & butter pudding and the grilled sea bass)in the IAD clubhouse.

For breakfast , I had the Special K and the fruit plate ( saving myself for the LHR Revivals lounge)

All meals were excellent ( as per my usual VS experiences).

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 01-18-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:01 pm

Christmas Menu

May we suggest the following to help you get into the holiday spirit…

Virgin’s house salad
seasonal leaves served with tear drop tomatoes, cucumber, onion and red cabbage with
peppercorn ranch dressing

or

Freshly prepared soup
corn chowder served with a choice of warm breads

Traditional roast turkey
with corn bread stuffing, crushed carrots & swede, roast potatoes and brussel sprouts
served with cranberry and port wine sauce

Warm Christmas pudding
served with brandy sauce or cream

Selection of cheese
served with cream crackers, Bath Olivers & grapes and a glass of Grahams LBV Port

Beaune, Domain du Chateau de Meursault, France
A real Christmas corker! Sumptuous classic Burgundy showing the Pinot Noir grape at its best with delicious strawberry and raspberry fragrance complemented by smooth silky oak

VS002/4/6/8/10/12/16/18/20/22/24/28/44/46/50
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:43 pm

Yup, I had the soup, red thai chicken and the cinnamon ice cream (although they forgot to out the warm raison sauce on the ice cream - so that was a shame). Didn't have a meal before my meal (and they only offer light snacks at the Air Canada Lounge at LAX).

Had fruit (with yogurt) and cabon roll for breakfast.

Boo
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE! Especially Dsimon...really excellent...makes my mouth water!
Steven

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.