Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow to Edinburgh flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2002, 9:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Heathrow to Edinburgh flight?

Is it possible to fly from LHR to Edinburgh? And, if so, what is the connection like between Virgin and the Endinburgh flight? Do I have to claim baggage at LHR and go through immigration/customs? Then lug everything to the Edinburgh flight. How much time should I allocate for this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi KatW,

Two airlines fly from LHR to EDI,

British Airways, www.british-airways.com with the more frequent flights and bmi british midland , www.flybmi.com ( which can earn you 500 VS miles r/t in ecoonnomy & 1000miles r/t in business) . Both leave from terminal 1.

You should be able to get your bags checked through with VS/bmi and BA and with bmi maybe even get your boarding card when checking in at the US departure point.( worket at LAX, did not work at Boston but bags checked through in both cases)

Upon arrival at LHR follow signs for the Flight connections centre ( bus from T3 to T1) where you will go through immigration and security before walking to T1.
Actual flight time is around 1 hour (gate to gate usually scheduled for 75-80mins).

Upon arriving at EDI if your bags were checked thorough from the US you will probably find them coming off baggage reclaim no. 6 in a separate belt beside the main reclaim but I have never seen any Customs officers there .

Minimum connecting time is 75mins but with scheduling VS/bmi is around 2 hours so you should have plenty of time.
If you are travelling UC/ VS Gold card then clear immigration at T3 walk through Customs (green channel) and then use the Revivals lounge before walking to T1 and clearing security ( usually no major queues during the day)

If you have any other questions, drop me a email or post them here.

Regards
TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 10-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 10-29-2002).]
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Very useful info, Banking-Scot, many thanks.

Looks like the most convenient thing to do is try to book BMI for the LHR-Edinburgh segment so I'll look into that. Beats the heck out of getting into London and then taking the train.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 7:20 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KatW:
Looks like the most convenient thing to do is try to book BMI for the LHR-Edinburgh segment so I'll look into that.</font>
I'm not sure if it is still the case but at one time VS did have codeshare with bmi on the EDI-LHR-EDI route.

If you are travelling in Business then make sure you get an A or C seat. bmi have a 2-3 Biz Class config on the route. The 3 on the ABC side are squashed to give a wide A and C with the B seat becoming unuseable but giving great elbow room and somewhere to keep books and magazines.

If you are travelling Biz on bmi then you will have access to the Business Class lounges at LHR and EDI. If you are *A Gold you will also get access to the Diamond Club which is similar to the BC lounge but there is a better choice of drinks and snacks.

What are your plans while in Edinburgh and when will you be here? There are a few FT'ers in the Edinburgh area - Me, TBS, ajamieson, sjharte - and we are always willing to help with advice, recommendations etc.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Many thanks, Gaza. We're taking a garden tour aboard the Royal Scotsman train, very excited about it.

http://www.royalscotsman.com/firstle...rs/special.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.