Wiki Posts
Search

45,000 bonus for new AMEX card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

45,000 bonus for new AMEX card

Viewfromthewing has highlighted this promotion.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...he-first-year/

Surely, there has to be a discussion going on SOMEWHERE on Flyertalk about it? I can't seem to find it.

My first question is what can I do with 45,000 Virgin miles from the US, and whether you can pool them with a spouse (apply for 2 cards and get 90,000 miles). And is there a way to avoid fuel surcharges on such rewards?

Never really considered being a member of the Flying Club but, you know, 45,000 might change things if I can find a lucrative way to use the miles. Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
You can transfer miles / points from and AMEX card to Virgin. I have done that three times it is a very clean quick process. Done in about 5 minutes. Make the reservation on Virgin subject to the transfer of miles. Call AMEX tell them what to transfer and to what account. Call back Virgin and all is good to go. Slick system. We have used VS for three LAX-LHR-LAX flights . Good use of AMEX miles. The UK taxes can take away and is more than the us carriers charge, but so be it. VS upper class is an excellent business class product.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:53 pm

I think the OP is referring to the VS-specific AMEX issued by BofA. To answer his questions:

1. With 45k you can get a one-way J ticket to LHR, a round-trip Y ticket (with a few miles left over), or also used for upgrades but VS upgrades require expensive base fares.

2. No way to avoid surcharges for VS rewards. I've never tried booking a CO reward with VS miles, but that may be an option. I'm not sure how the fuel surcharges work for CO rewards.

3. Pooling miles can only be done through a Family Account (or, indirectly, by sponsoring a Silver companion). Both of these options require achieving Gold status (40 tier points, not based on miles earned). One thing you could do is sponsor a second cardholder on your AMEX account, which would give you some bonus (I'm not sure how much... <45k but not an insignificant ammount). Also, the spend from both cards would earn you miles. These miles (and tier points, if any are earned) would go into one account (the main cardholder's account).

I think it's a great deal. I signed up when the bonus was only 20k, and find that it was well worth the annual fee. If you hold on to the card for a while you can net yourself a nice reward RT to London. Shoot for the J reward as the surcharges and fees are very close to the Y rewards. Also, if you fly CO or US (or a number of other int'l airlines), you can credit miles and earn tier points on your Flying Club account, if that is something you're interested in doing.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
I agree that the poster was referring to the BofA AMEX card and current promotion. I was just pointing out that if one has current AMEX card and points those points and the sign up bonus can be combined to increase amount available for award travel. I have also submitted an application. As mentioned I have used VS a few times and think upper class is a good product.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by bnw2005
I was just pointing out that if one has current AMEX card and points those points and the sign up bonus can be combined to increase amount available for award travel.
Fair enough.

Originally Posted by bnw2005
As mentioned I have used VS a few times and think upper class is a good product.
I'd go as far as saying that UC is the best J-class sleep I have had. That said, especially for the money- or mile-conscious, I'd suggest UC for overnight legs and PE for the daytime... especially if lounge access can otherwise be obtained (i.e. through status, guesting, etc).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by iahphx
Surely, there has to be a discussion going on SOMEWHERE on Flyertalk about it? I can't seem to find it.
Try here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.