Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Miss: VX755 - SEA-SFO

The strange thing is that I can access the SFO-LAX leg of this itinerary (departs 17:35). It lets me change seats, but throws an error when processing my credit card payment

Phoned reservations and they told me to try at 17:35
So, not really a "miss", since it would have worked if not for the foreign credit card issues.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by aviators99
So, not really a "miss", since it would have worked if not for the foreign credit card issues.
The first leg was a miss (no seats available) and the second was a hit.

I made the original booking with that card - no problem
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You're going SEA-SFO-LAX?

I have to say I prefer SEA-LAX to breaking it into pieces, since there aren't 500-mile minimums - for one thing, you get a full F service or full access to Y menu items (only snacks on the SEA-SFO/SFO-LAX shorthaul legs- a 70-90 minute flight hardly makes F worth it now that it's $70, but a full meal and drinks plus a full movie... well, it's closer to being worth it ). Or are you stopping in at the VS Clubhouse in SFO (the one time I DID do it that way, it was so I could spend a couple hours there)?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're going SEA-SFO-LAX?

I have to say I prefer SEA-LAX to breaking it into pieces, since there aren't 500-mile minimums - for one thing, you get a full F service or full access to Y menu items (only snacks on the SEA-SFO/SFO-LAX shorthaul legs- a 70-90 minute flight hardly makes F worth it now that it's $70, but a full meal and drinks plus a full movie... well, it's closer to being worth it ). Or are you stopping in at the VS Clubhouse in SFO (the one time I DID do it that way, it was so I could spend a couple hours there)?
right SEA-LAX would be better. The VS clubhouse is pretty nice (and run by some nice people).

Unfortunately times didn't work that well for my VA connection to BNE. -- had to fly UA on the way up
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Does a paid-F ticket ex-SFO get me entrance to the VS lounge automatically?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:41 pm

At SEA, wait-listed for u/g.

-- writing this with Firefox on my new Nokia N900 Linux phone via SeaTac's free wifi! ^
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Upgrade gods smiled at me on this trip -- 2 for 2.

SFO-IAD

Outbound: Wednesday, Mar. 24, early am departure. F was pretty open in the days leading up to the flight. At 6 hours before departure (yep, I'm a FTer who wakes up for this sort of thing), there were 5 F seats available, and I took one.

Return: Friday, Mar. 26, early am. I'm aboard as I type this. Big score. The flight was completely full for several days prior. One F seat freed up about 20 hours prior, and disappeared a couple of hours later. I couldn't bring myself to pay the full price for that seat. This morning, some kind soul canceled an F res. and one seat popped open when I checked in online 2 hours before departure. Every seat on this plane is full, making seat 2A feel particularly comfortable at the moment.

May you upgrade often and in good health.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:41 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Family member on FLL-SFO this evening. Got MCS upgrade at 24 hours out and F upgrade at 6 hours out. Based on the seat map, neither upgrade appeared to be hotly contested.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Upgraded to Main Cabin Select 5 hours before flight to SNA. Let's see how this compares to F and Y.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:12 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
SFO-FLL on Sat. 4/10. FAIL on both MCS and F at any time within the eligible windows.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Upgraded to MCS at T-24 on an SFO-LAX award ticket yesterday. Instead of upgrading to F (which it looked like I could have done at T-6), I spent the other $35 for two hours in the SFO Clubhouse. Great lunch, great drinks, great view of the apron, and a pretty swanky facility overall. ^
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:37 pm

Wait- what? Every time I fly back I look at adding the Clubhouse and the site tells me it's not open in SFO!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Wait- what? Every time I fly back I look at adding the Clubhouse and the site tells me it's not open in SFO!
I know, that's an annoying bug on the VX site. If your flight doesn't depart while the club is open, you can't purchase access at OLCI. My flight departed about an hour after the club closed, so I couldn't do it, either (which is ironic, given that that's actually perfect scheduling for visiting a groundside club). But you can purchase the pass at the ticket counter. The line at SFO usually isn't long IME (at least outside peak hours), especially for F/MCS.

I told the agent I wished I didn't have to waste her time! She sympathized and said she'd forward my feedback. I also complained to a phone rep. We'll see if anything changes. But I doubt it will, since I'm sure VX doesn't want people with departure times far outside the club hours complaining that they already paid and couldn't get in.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
If your flight doesn't depart while the club is open, you can't purchase access at OLCI.
Ah, then that's why- I'm always on the flight back to SNA that leaves after 2000 (the time varies for some reason). But that sucks the club isn't even open 'till 8PM, as sometimes I pay for F on the way back.

The line at SFO usually isn't long IME (at least outside peak hours), especially for F/MCS.
By the time I drop off the rental car and get to the terminal it's about 1900 on Fridays and there's really never a line even in the general line. it's pretty nice.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:39 pm

(Should this be renamed "... your 6 hour upgrade ..." now? )

Anyway, got one of 6 remaining seats on VX814 tonight, and since it's leaving at 2020 I had time if the Clubhouse were open to give it a try, only to be told that it's pre-security.

Now I don't feel so bad at all after all about having never tried it out after all these weeks. I can get the priority security lane 'cause of my F(/MCS) boarding passes, but they've started using the Nude-O-Scope with a vengeance now so I have to take off my belt and such and it's a real pain. The ladies at Firewood know me enough now to already ask if I'm getting the same beer, so that's the defacto VX lounge AFAIC.

I'm gonna miss taking these [expletive deleted]s home come late May

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.