Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Old Sep 8, 09, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Just got the 24-hour upgrade to F on tomorrow's 7:15 am SFO-IAD flight. There was only one F seat available, and being a FTer, I was right there to grab it at the moment online check-in opened. I'm now 4 for 5 in my upgrades in daytime flights between SFO and IAD.

Feel free to add your F upgrade successes and failures here.
Old Sep 8, 09, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I'm 100% lifetime on SEA-SFO/SFO-LAS/SEA-LAX upgrades. Typically these are available at T-24 hours, as opposed to the longhaul routes.
Old Sep 8, 09, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I forgot to mention that two weeks ago, I was able to snag 3 out of 4 desired F seats on LAX-SFO. I stayed back in coach while the rest of my family enjoyed the big seats.
Old Sep 8, 09, 6:54 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
I've only taken two flights on VX, one SFO-LAX and the other LAX-SEA. One flight was in ticketed F, the other I upgraded for $50. So 100% but a statistically insignifcant sample rate.
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
SAN-SFO/SFO-SAN

100% at 24hr in advance- 2 for 2. Evening departures (5:20pm and 9:10pm).
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:36 pm

sfo-bos VX350 (9:05 am)

Booked at T-24.
Old Sep 11, 09, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
6 for 7 SFO to LAS & back!
Old Sep 14, 09, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Successful upgrade at T-23.55 for JFK-SFO 7am flight.
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:47 pm

Programs: United Platinum
2 for 2 on an SFO-IAD-SFO roundtrip I'm completing now.

I haven't decided if I like in-flight wi-fi or not. I can get a lot of work done, and that's helpful, but I sort of miss the ability to read and not have to feel guilty about being off work email for 6 hours or so.

Bob
Old Sep 22, 09, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AS Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Successful for tomorrow 9/23 8am SFO-SEA 1 seat
Old Sep 22, 09, 7:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
LAX-SEA upgrade wasn't available online, even though there were 5 seats available in F on seat map. If I attempted to select them at OLCI, it said I'd have to change my booking. (Trying that screen, I was told to pay the change fee, and pay heaps for the seats too.) However, the upgrade was available when we physically checked in at LAX.
Old Sep 22, 09, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
LAX-SEA upgrade wasn't available online, even though there were 5 seats available in F on seat map. If I attempted to select them at OLCI, it said I'd have to change my booking. (Trying that screen, I was told to pay the change fee, and pay heaps for the seats too.) However, the upgrade was available when we physically checked in at LAX.
Read the FAQ. This is not the way to do the upgrade online.
Old Sep 22, 09, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Read the FAQ. This is not the way to do the upgrade online.
FAQ says "you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in". Neither OLCI nor "change seats" worked. (Didn't wait around to try it all again later, as ship net costs 55c/min and isn't fast.)

Other factors which may be relevant, but only VX knows: VX was aware that one of us uses a wheelchair. VX had moved us from row 23 (the closest to front when we booked) to row 4 without us asking them or even knowing about it until we went to check in. Maybe their CS intervention locked us out of changing seats through the web site?

Last edited by Kremmen; Sep 22, 09 at 10:08 pm Reason: added other factors
Old Sep 22, 09, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
FAQ says "you can upgrade at check-in (including OLCI) or prior to check-in". Neither OLCI nor "change seats" worked. (Didn't wait around to try it all again later, as ship net costs 55c/min and isn't fast.)

Other factors which may be relevant, but only VX knows: VX was aware that one of us uses a wheelchair. VX had moved us from row 23 (the closest to front when we booked) to row 4 without us asking them or even knowing about it until we went to check in. Maybe their CS intervention locked us out of changing seats through the web site?
I do also mention in the FAQ that doing it at OLCI doesn't always work. If you try to do it with "change seat" after you've gotten through the first OLCI screen, it won't work. You must do the "change seat" before even attempting OLCI.

AFAIK, row 4 is only assignable at the airport, and CS agents cannot do this.
Old Sep 22, 09, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
AFAIK, row 4 is only assignable at the airport, and CS agents cannot do this.
Clearly, you're wrong.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: