Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your 6-hour upgrade to F hits/misses here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Clearly, you're wrong.
I suppose it's possible that someone at the airport may have done this. I have had CS agents on the phone try, and could not figure out a way.

In any case, I changed the FAQ a bit, to make it clearer about upgrading before even going to the check-in page.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
I suppose it's possible that someone at the airport may have done this. I have had CS agents on the phone try, and could not figure out a way.
It doesn't seem likely that someone at the airport did it 23+ hours before departure. More likely, it was totally automated because a disabled passenger was in the booking, or that flag raised an alert with someone who manually moved us forward.

Good to change the FAQ if their system is that picky. I'd read discussions about which way worked for various people, but I'd never seen that simply going into the OLCI screen first would stop both methods working. (And since we might as well use OLCI anyhow, we were trying to minimise use of the 55c/min wifi.)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
It doesn't seem likely that someone at the airport did it 23+ hours before departure. More likely, it was totally automated because a disabled passenger was in the booking, or that flag raised an alert with someone who manually moved us forward.

Good to change the FAQ if their system is that picky. I'd read discussions about which way worked for various people, but I'd never seen that simply going into the OLCI screen first would stop both methods working. (And since we might as well use OLCI anyhow, we were trying to minimise use of the 55c/min wifi.)
Row44 (the company that does the satellite-based wifi for Alaska and Southwest) should get into the ship-based wifi business! (Although, who knows? It might be the ships that are marking this up so much).
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
SFO-IAD: 2/2 with 1 pax
IAD-SFO: 1/1 with 1 pax
LAS-SFO: 1/1 with 2 pax
SFO-LAX: 1/1 with 2 pax

100% success every time I've tried so far!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by aviators99
I do also mention in the FAQ that doing it at OLCI doesn't always work. If you try to do it with "change seat" after you've gotten through the first OLCI screen, it won't work. You must do the "change seat" before even attempting OLCI.
Thanks for the tip! Flying SFO-SNA tomorrow morning on my "virgin" Virgin American flight. Only 2 out of 8 F seats taken so plenty of upgrade availability when I went in to change seat. Paid the $50 change/upgrade fee before checking in. Upgrading would have been confusing if I hadn't read some of the FT threads. Trying F going there and Y product on the way back... Will send in a trip report on my return.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lainys
Thanks for the tip! Flying SFO-SNA tomorrow morning on my "virgin" Virgin American flight. Only 2 out of 8 F seats taken so plenty of upgrade availability when I went in to change seat. Paid the $50 change/upgrade fee before checking in. Upgrading would have been confusing if I hadn't read some of the FT threads. Trying F going there and Y product on the way back... Will send in a trip report on my return.
Congrats! I hope you enjoy your flight

It's not long enough to enjoy the full F experience, but IMHO it's worth the extra $50. From reading your previous post, this is still less than the UA alternative?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
It's not long enough to enjoy the full F experience, but IMHO it's worth the extra $50. From reading your previous post, this is still less than the UA alternative?
IME, when UA offers paid upgrades on routes under 500 miles, it's usually for $77. For 500-1000 miles, I usually see $154. And transcon can run $400-500 (possibly more). Not a good value compared to VX, and the paid upgrade option is not always offered. But at least on UA one can enjoy E+ and accumulate upgrade certs, among other perks. Value is in the eye of the beholder, of course.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
IME, when UA offers paid upgrades on routes under 500 miles, it's usually for $77. For 500-1000 miles, I usually see $154. And transcon can run $400-500 (possibly more). Not a good value compared to VX, and the paid upgrade option is not always offered. But at least on UA one can enjoy E+ and accumulate upgrade certs, among other perks. Value is in the eye of the beholder, of course.
That's a good point. But I was referring to another post about the original booking. VX was $79, where UA was $284 (∴ VX + T24 is still better than UA).

BTW - I remember being offered a UA transpac (SFO-SYD) u/g a couple years ago, I think the price was somewhere around US$800pp.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Doing lunch in Vegas tomorrow. Got upgrade for both my mom an I both ways. I called in to phone number and must have gotten a really good agent who seems to have bent the rules a bit. Was checkin in for out Lund at 24 hour mark and had credit to use for upgrade. We are on seperate pnrs so couldn't do the upgrade online for my mom and use credit. Agent did it over the phone no extra charge and did both outbound and inbound even though inbound was 34.5 hours away. I said that I wouldn't be able to do this for myself online so she processed both of mine as well.

Don't think vx is loosing out on any revenue by this little favor because even now we are the only two assigned seats on both flights in first.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not to hijack this thread, but does VX send an "OLCI" email at about 24 hours out? (My first VX flight is coming in a couple of weeks)
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Congrats! I hope you enjoy your flight

Hey nermaljcat! Just catching up on some old threads. The VX ticket price (in Y) at that time was significantly less than UA for the same flights. These past 2 weeks I've noticed that SFO-LAX-SFO on Tue/Wed/Thu prices are exactly the same on VX and UA. Had a meeting in SoCal last week. Bought my ticket on UA (DEQM helped me hit 150K for the year) otherwise would have preferred VX (for the free wifi this month). Upgrade on UA did not clear both segments. On LAX-SFO last Thu afternoon I was #12 on the list. It's a short flight so upgrading here isn't that important to me. However in future if I wanted to maximize my upgrade chances (especially for longer flights) I will probably take VX for any last minute trips (as long as it's price comparable). Upgrading as 1K just isn't what it used to be.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not to hijack this thread, but does VX send an "OLCI" email at about 24 hours out? (My first VX flight is coming in a couple of weeks)
I'm no VX expert (2 x SFO-LAX/SNA-SFO) trips) but I don't recall receiving any OLCI emails. I treat it like a WN flight and set a T-24 alarm in my outlook.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
1 FOR 1: SFO-SAN

and I loved it. wish it had been longer!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I get OLCI checkin mails, but my email is in my Elevate profile.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:19 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Had my first miss last night on SFO-LAX, along with a hit. As t-24 approached, I watched F availability go from 3 to 2 to 1. Was able to snag the last F seat for my SO after a phone agent separated out our itineraries and put me on a separate reservation at no extra cost. (Normally, all members of a party must upgrade, so a big ^ to the agent for the elegant workaround that netted VX extra revenue and made my girlfriend happy!)
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:13 pm

First time flying tomorrow on VX and total miss for 2 pax. I was told to call by the website and the CSR said there was only 1 main cabin select avail Oh well...idk if biting the bullet for first class from BOS-LAX OW is worth the $$..

**Edit**
Some seats became available...woohoo 100% for upgrade.

Last edited by mugen910; Dec 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.