Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX always seems to board and depart early

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:44 am
Original Poster

VX always seems to board and depart early

3 out of 4 times I've flown VX we have boarded earlier than the 30 mins or so on the boarding pass and departed 5 mins early. Is this standard practice? The one other time the flight was delayed so it wasn't an issue.

Edit: I don't normally mind boarding and departing early but if it's a 6pm flight on a Friday it's not always optimal.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:06 am

It is indeed common, but they only leave up to 10 minutes early, which is also common among many airlines. Also, they only do it when everyone who is checked in has boarded, so as long as you use OLCI or at least get to the ticket counter reasonably, you should be fine.

The reason airlines can leave 10 minutes early is because that is the time when you could lose your seat anyway as standby passengers are cleared at that time.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
It is indeed common, but they only leave up to 10 minutes early, which is also common among many airlines. Also, they only do it when everyone who is checked in has boarded, so as long as you use OLCI or at least get to the ticket counter reasonably, you should be fine.

The reason airlines can leave 10 minutes early is because that is the time when you could lose your seat anyway as standby passengers are cleared at that time.
So if it says boarding at 5:30pm, the last possible time I can be at the gate to guarantee my seat is 5:50pm assuming I used OLCI?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:20 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It was certainly surreal on a recent flight out of JFK when I arrived at the gate 30 min prior to departure to find that almost everyone was already on board.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
It was certainly surreal on a recent flight out of JFK when I arrived at the gate 30 min prior to departure to find that almost everyone was already on board.
which becomes a carry on baggage issue.......
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, they DO say to show up at the airport 90 minutes early...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDunn
So if it says boarding at 5:30pm, the last possible time I can be at the gate to guarantee my seat is 5:50pm assuming I used OLCI?
Yep, just like every other US airline that clears standby passengers.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
Yep, just like every other US airline that clears standby passengers.
I an a WN flier typically so the 30 mins prior boarding seems like a lot
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:19 am

Low pax

I bet one of the reasons VX flights seem to depart early/board quickly (I've noticed this too) is because there are fewer people than most of the other carriers. They're only pulling a 60% load factor (for a couple of months now!). Watch for VX (sadly) to go Chapter 7 soon.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dw
AS does this too. They will indicate boarding begins 30 minutes prior to departure, but if circumstances allow, they will start boarding 40-45 minutes prior to departure. I recently arrived at the gate 35 minutes prior to departure to find almost everyone already onboard.

But I would say that of my VX flights, they have more often than not departed early, which certainly isn't the case with WN, and rarely with AS.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MrPresident1776
I bet one of the reasons VX flights seem to depart early/board quickly (I've noticed this too) is because there are fewer people than most of the other carriers. They're only pulling a 60% load factor (for a couple of months now!). Watch for VX (sadly) to go Chapter 7 soon.
You do realize that VX's Q1 2008 DOT stats still haven't been made public yet, right?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You do realize that VX's Q1 2008 DOT stats still haven't been made public yet, right?
Don't feed the troll

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.