Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Does VX honestly expect to sell at these prices..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does VX honestly expect to sell at these prices..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
VX also tried to sell LAX-JFK transcon for much higher price than other carriers with flat bed in the front cabin.... I used my AS miles to book F for LAX-JFK flight... there is no way I overpay with my cash for inferior product. (although 25000 AS miles one-way is not a bad deal)
+1

I went with VX at 25,000 AS miles for LAX-JFK this Saturday when B6 was $1,400 and all the single suites were gone.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
I've done a couple AS 25K VX F awards when VX F pricing has been high. It's a great deal on the trancons.
I have a 25k award for August; as an AS flyer it'll be my first VX F experience. I hope they start allowing stopovers on VX awards so I can get another leg out of it but if not, still a good deal compared to the other options that day (60k AS awards).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I have a 25k award for August; as an AS flyer it'll be my first VX F experience. I hope they start allowing stopovers on VX awards so I can get another leg out of it but if not, still a good deal compared to the other options that day (60k AS awards).
Checked F prices SFO-BOS for mid May. Really ridiculous vs UA 757 but close to UA 767 product.

Ended up redeeming my HA miles on Virgin.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by sdix
Checked F prices SFO-BOS for mid May. Really ridiculous vs UA 757 but close to UA 767 product.

Ended up redeeming my HA miles on Virgin.
My in-laws were able to get SFO-BOS RT Delta One for ~$900 in August. Lots of new capacity for the route -> cheappp
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Thanksgiving is 1 day. They literally have a full 2 weeks set to this premium pricing.
Standard procedure.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unfortunately VX yield management appears to be using the same playbook as WN these days. Price everything sky high when you open the schedule, and see how many suckers will buy grossly overpriced tickets to lock in certainty. Then - just to frustrate your loyal customers - wait until some random day to lower prices, and then keep doing so until enough tickets are sold. Then jack them up again. Rinse and repeat.

The result is that those of us who don't want to wait will simply purchase a lower-priced ticket from UA or another legacy carrier when the price is decent, rather than wait for VX or WN to blink.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
VX has removed the seasonal JFK-FLL from its schedule. I had made two reservations, and they called to inform me the route was gone, and they were refunding my tickets. It was a superior service, but never promoted, with the end result that loads were uneven, and appeared to be comprised of customers who had bought cheap tickets. I never saw any evidence of particular brand awareness. On a number of occasions, I noted pricing where First Class was being offered for less than the premium economy fare. A braintrust this was not.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by deelmakur
VX has removed the seasonal JFK-FLL from its schedule. I had made two reservations, and they called to inform me the route was gone, and they were refunding my tickets. It was a superior service, but never promoted, with the end result that loads were uneven, and appeared to be comprised of customers who had bought cheap tickets. I never saw any evidence of particular brand awareness. On a number of occasions, I noted pricing where First Class was being offered for less than the premium economy fare. A braintrust this was not.
That seemed to be a temporary aircraft utilization move. Having one flight a day with no possibility of expanding service or adding any other East Coast cities from JFK just never made much sense. There was no strategy behind it.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Agreed.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:09 am

I've been waiting for the prices to change too. The price for FLL-SFO in coach, has been $799 one way for the 16th to the 28th of November for a long time (it's $147 on the 15th and 29th). There was some movement a week ago....the price was increased to $812 OW
Old May 13, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkenn
I've been waiting for the prices to change too. The price for FLL-SFO in coach, has been $799 one way for the 16th to the 28th of November for a long time (it's $147 on the 15th and 29th). There was some movement a week ago....the price was increased to $812 OW
Seriously? Everyone else went down and they decided to increase the price. $812 for a one-way coach seat between a market with multiple competitors is just insane .

LOL. It's no wonder they barely made a profit after all these years. I booked a Mint ticket the day I posted this almost a month ago for $449 and haven't looked back. Even now Jetblue is offering coach for a little over $200 during most days in that time frame.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I'll chime in.

I'm an odd flyer - I fly US domestic circa once per year, historically to relocate. Given that I often have substantial baggage, I am normally buying F. Back before most carriers axed 3x70lbs, it was frequently worth it. The comfort premium and aggravation savings at check-in, security, and boarding are worth it, as well. And the F market has become very competitive.

Anywho, after a very positive F experience FLL-LAX back in 2014, I have watched VX fares closely.

I don't know who does their bloody revenue management, but s/he should have been cashiered five years ago. The pricing is frequently wildly irrational. My latest search has been for a one way HNL-LAX for my return to the US mainland in June. $1299 in F when the competition is $600-$725 (when recently pricing HNL-LAX). Or selling MCS for...an $8 premium over Main Cabin. I realize that pricing strategy will be different versus a major, but Virgin, you're bat-faeces insane. But I love you.

Last edited by Amelorn; May 19, 2017 at 2:34 am
Old May 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
So I'm going to be in SoCal in mid/late November and decided to check tickets to get back to Florida. Low and behold Virgin America literally has from the 16th-29th at only full fare refundable prices.

I could understand if this was a last minute ticket on the day before Thanksgiving, but to block 2 weeks at refundable prices makes zero sense to me. Needless to say the seatmaps are completely wide open.
Those are "bargains" -Found this on Virgin's site - a trip from SFO to SFO - only $79 !!

go to Virgin America, Summer deals (scroll down a few items to find):

no indication of whether you get to board the aircraft and then deplane !!

Tilton has tipped his wing in the water !!

Last edited by uaflr; May 23, 2017 at 11:51 am Reason: link does not work now
Old May 24, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by uaflr
Those are "bargains" -Found this on Virgin's site - a trip from SFO to SFO - only $79 !!
Typing error it was SAN - SFO.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Just picked up SFO - HNL for $599.00 in F OW. Had been seeing 699.00,but an odd $599.00 because available and we took it. It was 2 week out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.