FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   Does VX honestly expect to sell at these prices.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1837612-does-vx-honestly-expect-sell-these-prices.html)

Yellowjj Apr 18, 17 9:52 pm

Does VX honestly expect to sell at these prices..

So I'm going to be in SoCal in mid/late November and decided to check tickets to get back to Florida. Low and behold Virgin America literally has from the 16th-29th at only full fare refundable prices.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nvfcc8.jpg

I can get Jetblue Mint for $450. Do Virgin honestly expect people to pay almost double for a economy ticket or quadruple for a first class ticket one-way? :confused:

I could understand if this was a last minute ticket on the day before Thanksgiving, but to block 2 weeks at refundable prices makes zero sense to me. Needless to say the seatmaps are completely wide open.

sfozrhfco Apr 18, 17 10:47 pm

With Mint in the market now, there is absolutely no reason to take VX. VX prices holidays at ridiculous prices and then when nobody buys tickets, they lower the prices as it gets closer and they realize that it is a holiday and their flights are empty. :D They have been doing that for a few years now--but now I don't even bother with them for transcons. I just buy the Mint seats, have a much better experience, and save lots of money.

dayone Apr 18, 17 11:17 pm

VX defaults to premium pricing around holidays. Fares usually will decrease based on load as it gets closer to departure. Three months prior is a good time to recheck.

As noted, if Mint is cheaper or the same price, fly Mint.

Yellowjj Apr 19, 17 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 28198768)
VX defaults to premium pricing around holidays. Fares usually will decrease based on load as it gets closer to departure. Three months prior is a good time to recheck.

As noted, if Mint is cheaper or the same price, fly Mint.

Thanksgiving is 1 day. They literally have a full 2 weeks set to this premium pricing. I booked mint.

Colin Apr 19, 17 11:27 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...inventory.html

GrayAnderson Apr 19, 17 1:23 pm

As noted, these prices generally won't stay there. Historically, towards the end of summer/start of fall they start releasing inventory. In the meantime, if there's a must-have flight you can book it and refund/rebook later;)

JumboJet Apr 19, 17 1:59 pm

I bet they do sell some at those prices.

Concerto Apr 19, 17 2:11 pm

So this is why my flight a couple of months ago was completely empty, except for 3 pax! This was on the JFK-FLL route and I thought empty aircraft were unheard of in the US these days.

Yellowjj Apr 19, 17 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 28201699)
As noted, these prices generally won't stay there. Historically, towards the end of summer/start of fall they start releasing inventory. In the meantime, if there's a must-have flight you can book it and refund/rebook later;)

Hadn't thought of refunding and then re-booking later down the line. Oh Well it wasn't necessarily a must have; I just was surprised especially when every other carrier is like $250 coach and $475 FC. I opted for Mint lie flat.

Originally Posted by JumboJet (Post 28201903)
I bet they do sell some at those prices.

More power to them, if they got people to buy a one way coach fare for $800.

SFGuy37 Apr 19, 17 3:39 pm

VX always ends up putting FC & MCS on sale over Holidays when it gets close in....this will happen again here unless AS revenue management starts taking control.

SFGuy37 Apr 19, 17 3:46 pm

VX always ends up putting FC & MCS on sale over Holidays when it gets close in....this will happen again here unless AS revenue management starts taking control.

uclacolumbiaunc Apr 19, 17 4:14 pm

VX also tried to sell LAX-JFK transcon for much higher price than other carriers with flat bed in the front cabin....

I used my AS miles to book F for LAX-JFK flight... there is no way I overpay with my cash for inferior product. (although 25000 AS miles one-way is not a bad deal)

Eastbay1K Apr 19, 17 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 28202569)
VX also tried to sell LAX-JFK transcon for much higher price than other carriers with flat bed in the front cabin....

I used my AS miles to book F for LAX-JFK flight... there is no way I overpay with my cash for inferior product. (although 25000 AS miles one-way is not a bad deal)

My next SFO/JFK is in Mint (paid) outbound and VX (AS F 25K award) return. If the fare on the return comes way down, I'll buy a ticket and refund the award. My last few SFO/JFK have been on AA (and one DL segment) for a fraction of the VX price.

jimmygottfredson Apr 19, 17 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28202847)
My next SFO/JFK is in Mint (paid) outbound and VX (AS F 25K award) return. If the fare on the return comes way down, I'll buy a ticket and refund the award. My last few SFO/JFK have been on AA (and one DL segment) for a fraction of the VX price.

I've done a couple AS 25K VX F awards when VX F pricing has been high. It's a great deal on the trancons.

sfozrhfco Apr 20, 17 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 28201986)
Hadn't thought of refunding and then re-booking later down the line. Oh Well it wasn't necessarily a must have; I just was surprised especially when every other carrier is like $250 coach and $475 FC. I opted for Mint lie flat.

More power to them, if they got people to buy a one way coach fare for $800.

You still made the rational choice. VX will not lower the F price down to $449 anyway so why pay more for an inferior product and have to loan them your money for over a half year on top of it.