Elevate ending 31 Dec 2017

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Elevate ending 31 Dec 2017

Just got an e-mail from AS stating that Elevate partners will go away sometime in the fall. Elevate will end on 31 Dec 2017 and all remaining points will be transferred to AS Mileageplan.
---
On March 22, we shared our vision for the future of Alaska Airlines and Virgin America. As we roll out big plans for new guest experience and service enhancements, Virgin America and Alaska will become one single brand sometime in 2019 under the name Alaska Airlines. We look forward to bringing you an exciting future of new markets, products and perks.
We’re just getting started.

What does this mean for Elevate?
One of Alaska's great strengths is its award-winning loyalty program, and on January 1, 2018 Alaska Mileage PlanTM will become the sole loyalty program for both airlines. Rest assured, your Elevate points are safe and, even if you take no action, they will transfer automatically into Alaska Mileage Plan in early 2018. Now is the time to score big with Mileage Plan and snag more miles with a sweet points conversion bonus when you convert your Elevate points.

As Elevate transitions to Mileage Plan, here are some important milestones to keep in mind.
Virgin America
Together More Rewarding.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat-2MM, Marriott Plat, former VX Gold forever
"Now is the time to score big with Mileage Plan and snag more miles with a sweet points conversion bonus when you convert your Elevate points."

This leads me to believe that the automatic transfer won't receive the bonus. Called the AS Gold line and got two different answers:
1. A very snippy agent stated the bonus was supposed to end 3/31 but is being extended. Couldn't say for how long but when I pressed basically implied I was on borrowed time because the 3/31 date was in prior emails (it wasn't) and I was bothering her with my questions.
HUCB
2. Much nicer agent placed me on hold and confirmed that there was no 3/31 end date but also couldn't provide an end date. I got the idea from her that as long as you transfer prior to the automatic transfer you should get the bonus, but she didn't actually say that.
Want to hold out as long as possible because once it's in MP it can't be transferred back and redemption is usually lower on the VX site.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:10 pm

Does anyone know whether Alaska will link not Amex Membership Rewards?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Do the miles get transferred instantly? AS doesn't allow holds so I need to act fast when trying to book CX awards.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pony_trekker
Does anyone know whether Alaska will link not Amex Membership Rewards?
Doubt it. Elevate it just shutting down so it will just be Mileage Plan which does not participate in Membership Rewards.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Do the miles get transferred instantly? AS doesn't allow holds so I need to act fast when trying to book CX awards.
Took all of about seven minutes for my AS balance to be updated.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Why do they call it a "bonus" ?
Isn't it just the best idea they could come up with for going from VX "points" to AS "miles"
I don't see it as a bonus so therefore don't think there should be an expiration date (beyond the death of Elevate).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
So the "30% bonus" actually refers the original 1:1.3 ratio, rather than being an actual bonus?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
So the "30% bonus" actually refers the original 1:1.3 ratio, rather than being an actual bonus?
Yes, the bonus is a discount on the devaluation.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Yes, the bonus is a discount on the devaluation.
Depends on how the points were earned. It is a 30% bonus w/no "devaluation" on CC spend.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Virgin America
Probably a dumb question, but if I transfer my points from virgin to alaska, will I be able to use the alaska points on a virgin flight?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:56 pm

Any indication about when the "bonus" will end? Feeling some pressure to transfer at least most of the points. What are the advantages to transferring now, and the disadvantages?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Any indication about when the "bonus" will end? Feeling some pressure to transfer at least most of the points. What are the advantages to transferring now, and the disadvantages?
I assume it will run until the end of the year, when Elevate is retired. Calling it a "bonus" for the first time after offering exactly the same transfer rate since last year is just marketing. 1.3 AS for 1 VX is just the (frankly ungenerous) rate.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by skron
Probably a dumb question, but if I transfer my points from virgin to alaska, will I be able to use the alaska points on a virgin flight?
You sure can, and there have been some excellent F redemption rates and availability. Note that there is no Main Cabin Select redemption on VX using AS miles, so if that is a possibility, you'll need to (at least for now) keep the points for that in your VX bank.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Don't transfer any points to AS until you need to use them. In most cases Main Cabin and of course Main Cabin Select are much better deals using VX points. Once you transfer to AS, they are stuck there, so you may as well maximize value by keeping them with VX as long as possible. If you find a good use of points with AS, it only takes a matter of minutes to post to Mileage Plan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.