RIP VX

Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It's a sub-lease? They own the gates but are banned by the DOJ from using them? Odd.
yep
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...le3857317.html
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, somewhat long time reader. Finally signed up to share an article I just read on the merger that was posted a few hours ago via the "Juneau Empire."

http://juneauempire.com/local/2016-0...-cause-concern

Key takeaway is at the end of the article noting the VX brand/insignia will ultimately be going away as we expected. :-(

After the merger with Virgin America is complete, Sprague said that the Virgin insignia scrolled across plain tails will be replaced with Alaska’s signature Eskimo. The airline will be dropping the Virgin name on everything except possibly some of the proprietary onboard technology that has made Virgin America popular.
There's also a note their Mileage plan will continue as a miles-based system as opposed to points-based. As a founding Elevate member, bummed to ultimately see the brand fade away.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I accidentally posted a new thread about this.

The merger hasn't even been approved yet, but they've already completed their thorough analysis of the VX brand and experience? Yeah, basically it was lip service.

Let's hope Branson takes his profits from selling his baby to AS and creates VX 2.0 to compete with those dinosaurs out of Seattle. Won't be hard if their inflight experience just includes newer and hipper prayer cards and IFE.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AAddicted

The merger hasn't even been approved yet, but they've already completed their thorough analysis of the VX brand and experience? Yeah, basically it was lip service.

Let's hope Branson takes his profits from selling his baby to AS and creates VX 2.0 to compete with those dinosaurs out of Seattle. Won't be hard if their inflight experience just includes newer and hipper prayer cards and IFE.
While I would love for that to happen, I think it would be really really difficult for a VX 2.0 to rise from the ashes. Especially given the hurdles they had to clear the first time around.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Um, all it seems to talk about is the paint.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by FluxTZ
There's also a note their Mileage plan will continue as a miles-based system as opposed to points-based.
I think you might be misreading the article:
Sprague also announced Thursday that Alaska Airlines will not transition from a miles-based rewards program to a points-based alternative, in which points are awarded based on the cost of plane tickets rather than the distance of the trip.
Emphasis mine.

Looks like there was a typo in the original article. AS will stick with mileage earning (for now!).

Last edited by tusphotog; Jun 10, 2016 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I think you might be misreading the article:
http://singleflyer.com/2016/06/10/al...revenue-based/

AS has asked for an immediate correction to the article.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
http://singleflyer.com/2016/06/10/al...revenue-based/

AS has asked for an immediate correction to the article.
I would not read too much into this, all airlines were against it until they decided they were for it.

As to a new VX, that would be difficult. In order to have a chance it would need to be in one of two breeds.

1. A focused network carrier hubbed in a key airport with large amounts of OD. ORD is best positioned if they ever build the west terminal. Arguably this is the hardest option as it will be a long fight against UA/AA. However this is the only option that will look similar to the old VX.

2. The other would be a ULCC flying into smaller tertiary airports with ultra low fares. Similar to Skybus, only smarter, think Ryanair. Spirit is close but they fly to larger more expensive airports, like Easyjet. Skybus made many mistakes such as hubbing in Columbus and not allowing connections. NK shows you can skim guests on low frequency low fare flights as long as you dont obsess over marketshare or escalation of commitment.

The largest problem with any airline is funding and critical mass. VX never grew as fast as planned and burned through too much money. VX should have been twice its size if plans had worked. Unfortunately they turned things around far too late.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, and VX also got a bit unlucky with timing (partly due to the regulatory BS thrown at them). 2007 was not a good time to be getting into the industry.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX

They ended prayers cards a while ago though.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: VX Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JHIN
They ended prayers cards a while ago though.
Wonderful.

They never should have had them to begin with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.