Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

strategy to achieve gold (or at least maintain silver)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Was a heavy VX flyer living in California, but moved to Tokyo for a year and now we've settled in Honolulu for the time being.

Just as VX is opening up HNL-SFO which is incredibly attractive (the only other decent option is to bounce through LAX on Delta's 767 611/612) I am set to lose my silver status at the end of the year since I was abroad.

I am trying to pick up the 100k amex plat bonus which would let me use the 80k transfer to pick up gold, but no luck finding anything above the 40k offer so far.

I'm also sitting on 350k starpoints but don't see a way to leverage those for this.

I suppose companion pass status match might be an option?

Wondering if there's another route I should consider.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do you have the credit card? Depending on your spend, you can still earn up to 15K status points which will get you 75% of silver.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

In addition to the 50,000 Elevate points (with the 25% bonus) you will receive for transferring 80K MR points:

Limited Time Offer: "Transfer 80K MR points before 12/31/2015 and get Gold status" through 2/28/2017.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...erican-express

LIMITED TIME OFFERS
Transfer Membership Rewards points before 10/8/2015 and get 25% bonus Elevate® points.
Transfer 80K MR points before 12/31/2015 and get Gold status.

"Gols Status Promotion Terms: In order to be eligible for this offer and get upgraded to Gold Status, you must be enrolled in Virgin America’s Elevate Program and transfer 80,000 or more Membership Rewards points to Virgin America during the promotion eligibility period (12:00 a.m. CT on September 8, 2015 to 11:59 p.m. CT on December 31, 2015). Transfer can be done in multiple transactions during this period. In order to participate in this offer, visit MembershipRewards.com/VirginAmerica to transfer Membership Rewards points to Elevate. Status will be awarded for qualifying Card Members within 14 days of transfer of 80,000 points and will remain in effect until Feb 28, 2017."

Last edited by LarkSFO; Sep 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the question is how to get those MR points :-)

Still haven't been able to find a working 100k amex plat option. But biz amex gold offers 75k, so that may be the way I go...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
Yeah, the question is how to get those MR points :-)

Still haven't been able to find a working 100k amex plat option. But biz amex gold offers 75k, so that may be the way I go...
I've built mine up over years with the first the AMEX PRG, then Plat, and now AMEX Everyday Preferred. But I am not likely to need them because it looks like I will re-qualify naturally.

Do you have status on another airline?

Got elite status with another airline? Break free with an upgrade to Elevate® Gold or Elevate® Silver on the airline that makes flying good again. You'll thank us later.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Depending on how much you're willing to gamble with, say, Paypal getting cheesed at you and/or how much you're willing to actually spend, you should be able to gin up the extra 5000 points without too much trouble if you can't "organically" spend your way there.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Gray, that's what I was thinking... Problem is the 75k gold is also a targeted offer I've had no luck in getting my hands on. Plat and Gold are currently 40k and 25k respectively. I imagine I wouldn't have too much trouble getting both cards and working out the extra 15k from there. Seems a bit of a pain but VX status would really help us out for the next 14 months.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
deleted
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
In addition to the 50,000 Elevate points (with the 25% bonus) you will receive for transferring 80K MR points:

Limited Time Offer: "Transfer 80K MR points before 12/31/2015 and get Gold status" through 2/28/2017.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/el...erican-express
LIMITED TIME OFFERS
Transfer Membership Rewards points before 10/8/2015 and get 25% bonus Elevate® points.
Transfer 80K MR points before 12/31/2015 and get Gold status.

"Gols Status Promotion Terms: In order to be eligible for this offer and get upgraded to Gold Status, you must be enrolled in Virgin America’s Elevate Program and transfer 80,000 or more Membership Rewards points to Virgin America during the promotion eligibility period (12:00 a.m. CT on September 8, 2015 to 11:59 p.m. CT on December 31, 2015). Transfer can be done in multiple transactions during this period. In order to participate in this offer, visit MembershipRewards.com/VirginAmerica to transfer Membership Rewards points to Elevate. Status will be awarded for qualifying Card Members within 14 days of transfer of 80,000 points and will remain in effect until Feb 28, 2017."
My wife (having taken advantage of this offer) has already been downgraded to MVP Status (having not flown enough to keep MVP Gold) and it is not February 28, 2017 yet. Does anyone have any insight into this, and as to how to how, at a minimum, to keep MVP Gold Status until the end of February?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Nevsky
My wife (having taken advantage of this offer) has already been downgraded to MVP Status (having not flown enough to keep MVP Gold) and it is not February 28, 2017 yet. Does anyone have any insight into this, and as to how to how, at a minimum, to keep MVP Gold Status until the end of February?
It's 2018. To achieve MVPG before the end of February, fly 40K miles on AS/VX. I've done this before in this timeframe ^
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by beckoa
It's 2018. To achieve MVPG before the end of February, fly 40K miles on AS/VX. I've done this before in this timeframe ^
Thanks. Understand that. At this point she just wants to be MVPG through February 28, which was what was originally promised for Virgin America.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky
Thanks. Understand that. At this point she just wants to be MVPG through February 28, which was what was originally promised for Virgin America.
VS promised it through February of last year. I'd say she'sdone pretty well already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.