Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America files for IPO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Pilot05
I will pass..

This is great customer-focused company that I like, but perhaps a bad investment...

I am trying to get my head around the $250 mil they borrowed from Cyrus Capital and Virgin Group at 17% ( a Comenity credit card might have been cheaper), and secured by virtually all assets of the company. They borrowed this money in 2011 and 2013. I can't fathom why the rate had to be that high.
Anybody who agreed to pay 17% on a secured loan a year ago has some issues. they are only paying back a portion of it with the proceeds of this IPO. Paying it all off (or refinancing it at half the rate) is in the best interest of the company.

I also wouldn't mind hearing more about the $5 million in stock Cyrus is giving non-officer VX employees, which they are promptly selling - See info on selling shareholders . Though they likely deserve it, why are the employees getting this gift? why are they selling?

There appear to be a ton of warrants and options at prices between $1.50 -$10.00..Nice payday...This of course is not uncommon today, and does not make it a bad stock

Executive compensation looks pretty reasonable.
If i recall correctly, when the new ownership structure was formed in last 2009/2010, VAI Partners, owners of 75% of Virgin America was formed. 16% went to an entity holding ownership on behalf of all employees. My guess is that it was a carrot to hold for retention and reward for employees.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
This is the best picture they can use?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vir...ipo-2014-11-03
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by fishy21
This is the best picture they can use?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vir...ipo-2014-11-03
You know VX doesn't own MarketWatch, right?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by acitrano
You know VX doesn't own MarketWatch, right?
I do. My comment was directed towards WSJ. Doesn't seem very professional to use that picture.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by fishy21
I do. My comment was directed towards WSJ. Doesn't seem very professional to use that picture.
Agreed! Very tacky.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Edit: I am leaning towards passing too. I just want to make sure that I understand exactly what's going on. It's limited to $10k, so I might just buy it and hope for a jump and sell quickly. But probably not.
Well, I thought about doing this so I reserved $2500 but now that I'm reading how LOYAL3 works I'm getting cold feet.

If there's a hike in price (which is very posible) you can't simply sell at that moment. You have to put in a sell request, LOYAL3 aggregates all the sale requests and does a batch sell at the end of the day (at whatever the market price is at the time). An IPO will likely be very volatile so jumping off the first wave using this platform might not be the way to go if you use LOYAL3.

I think I'm going to withdraw my request and just look tomorrow morning and see how if goes from my online broker.

Last edited by Irwin Alvarado; Nov 12, 2014 at 5:08 pm Reason: grammar
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado
Well, I thought about doing this so I reserved $2500 but now that I'm reading how LOYAL3 works I'm getting cold feet.

If there's a hike in price (which is very posible) you can't simply sell at that moment. You have to put in a sell request, LOYAL3 aggregates all the sale requests and does a batch sell at the end of the day (at whatever the market price is at the time). An IPO will likely be very volatile so jumping off the first wave using this platform might not be the way to go if you use LOYAL3.

I think I'm going to withdraw my request and just look tomorrow morning and see how if goes from my online broker.
The IPO priced at $23/share. LOYAL3 fulfilled about 3/4 of my requested shares. It popped to nearly $30/share today.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Originally Posted by unavaca
The IPO priced at $23/share. LOYAL3 fulfilled about 3/4 of my requested shares. It popped to nearly $30/share today.
I was not able to change it but I did sell at eod for 30% profit. I'll move some of those shares to my online broker. Nice from vx to let us get in in the IPO with small amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.