Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by vision4bg
I just got back from a trip to Australia. I booked my flight out the day before I left, and then my flight back just after landing. Use delta.com to check for availability before calling the burn desk. Use expertflyer to predict which flights will be available. I booked business class, and if a flight had >=12 seats available, it ended up becoming reservable with points anywhere from 1-6 days ahead of time. Mid-week is much more likely, but I did see weekend availability with as few as 4 seats showing as available in business (but only released the day before).

FYI, 90,000 points return (since I ended up having to book 2 one-ways), plus $100 or so in fees. I booked separate Virgin domestic flights to get to LAX.
thanks for the info.

i had another thought on using my VX points to redeem emirates, but when i called the burn desk, they told me it is even harder compared to redeeming it for VA flights to Australia. according to this burn desk guy, he said VA flights can be redeem 1-3 months out, while emirates and singapore airlines are really elusive / non-existent.

so i guess i am back to using my VX points for the Australia plan. what a pain. i dont think i want to accrue points in VX after this.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:40 pm

When I could actually get through the team there was super helpful. My advice is plan a trip about a month out and check the flight inventory for rough dates. Where you can, figure out the availabilities on your own without calling the burn desk, as it'll save you a lot of time (e.g. the Delta.com trick I mentioned above).

There was a bit of anxiety on my end flying out on a one-way ticket, but it all worked out great, and was a fantastic use of points.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gnomey
according to this burn desk guy, he said VA flights can be redeem 1-3 months out
Was he referring to Y or J?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Was he referring to Y or J?
i was frankly surprise to hear the burn desk guy say 1-3 months out for VA, since everybody is saying how difficult it is to score it. it could be that he's referring to Y then. though, our whole conversation was abt J - since that's what i was asking for .
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by vision4bg
When I could actually get through the team there was super helpful. My advice is plan a trip about a month out and check the flight inventory for rough dates. Where you can, figure out the availabilities on your own without calling the burn desk, as it'll save you a lot of time (e.g. the Delta.com trick I mentioned above).

There was a bit of anxiety on my end flying out on a one-way ticket, but it all worked out great, and was a fantastic use of points.
yeah. thanks. the problem is in most companies u have to inform your boss / co-worker u gonna be away for 2 weeks in advance

i have been advised to book another award tix while waiting for this VA to show up. so if it really show up, then i cancel the other one and take VA. still annoying cos i would need to pay for the cancellation fee no matter whcih award tix it is esp so close to departure
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Exceedingly easy. Just do it off of the website.
Can't find a way to do that.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can't find a way to do that.
Oh, right, OP's talking about Virgin Australia domestic tickets. I read it as redeeming domestic VX using VX points. Which is rather simple.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
I had no problem finding availability through VX for Virgin Australia domestic flights. After making the booking, I needed to change the dates. Paid the redeposit fee and was told it would take up to 72 hours to get the points back. It's now 9 days and despite several phone calls and emails, there has been no action on redepositing the points. Very frustrating.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:26 am

Singapore Y availability - how far in advance?

I'm trying to book a one-way award from JFK to FRA on SQ in Y for Nov 18, 2017 (11 months and 2 days out from today). Both ANA and Aeroplan websites show award availability.

First agent on the partner desk said that there was nothing available, better to check about 6 months out. I asked her to check a week earlier, and she said still nothing, check again closer to the departure date.

I called back and got a seemingly more knowledgeable agent who said that the schedule only went out to Nov 12, 2017. Definitely not an SQ limitation, perhaps this is a VX limitation. Anyways, I asked her to check Nov 11 for me, and she said there was no partner availability for even one seat in any class on that flight. I can see at least 5 lowest award level seats in Y on when checking availability on ANA and Aeroplan for that date too.

Does anyone know whether this is a VX IT thing and the availability shows up later? Or does Singapore provide different availability to *A partners vs. VX? How far in advance have people been able to book?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
SQ availability with VX points is non existent and since it is looking more and more like elevate will be wrapped up as quickly as AS can get rid of it, you will probably just have to hope for a good transfer rate to MileagePlan and redeem on one of AS's partners.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by md125
I'm trying to book a one-way award from JFK to FRA on SQ in Y for Nov 18, 2017 (11 months and 2 days out from today). Both ANA and Aeroplan websites show award availability.

First agent on the partner desk said that there was nothing available, better to check about 6 months out. I asked her to check a week earlier, and she said still nothing, check again closer to the departure date.

I called back and got a seemingly more knowledgeable agent who said that the schedule only went out to Nov 12, 2017. Definitely not an SQ limitation, perhaps this is a VX limitation. Anyways, I asked her to check Nov 11 for me, and she said there was no partner availability for even one seat in any class on that flight. I can see at least 5 lowest award level seats in Y on when checking availability on ANA and Aeroplan for that date too.

Does anyone know whether this is a VX IT thing and the availability shows up later? Or does Singapore provide different availability to *A partners vs. VX? How far in advance have people been able to book?

Thanks!
I haven't been able to use VX miles for SQ flights for all of this year. Even simple CGK-SIN or BKK-SIN when Aeroplan, Lifemiles and ANA are showing availability.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:56 am

Hi Guys,

I managed to request EK booking for two from MEL-SIN in business. Oddly enough, the agent told me the taxes were $60.4*2 for two of us, although according to website it should have been $245*2. She proceeded to charge my CC and gave me a booking reference. I am still waiting for it to be ticketed (been less than 24hrs). Any idea if the agent was wrong or are the taxes really so low ? Should I call them to re-confirm?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nanz236
Hi Guys,

I managed to request EK booking for two from MEL-SIN in business. Oddly enough, the agent told me the taxes were $60.4*2 for two of us, although according to website it should have been $245*2. She proceeded to charge my CC and gave me a booking reference. I am still waiting for it to be ticketed (been less than 24hrs). Any idea if the agent was wrong or are the taxes really so low ? Should I call them to re-confirm?
If it tickets then just let it be.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I haven't been able to use VX miles for SQ flights for all of this year. Even simple CGK-SIN or BKK-SIN when Aeroplan, Lifemiles and ANA are showing availability.
Good to know. I'll look at other options.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by md125
Good to know. I'll look at other options.
SQ flights with VX miles are "not possible". They're in a smaller bucket than the regular saver buckets. VA was the best redemption partner IMO. Was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.