FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
gnomey

Originally Posted by vision4bg
I just got back from a trip to Australia. I booked my flight out the day before I left, and then my flight back just after landing. Use delta.com to check for availability before calling the burn desk. Use expertflyer to predict which flights will be available. I booked business class, and if a flight had >=12 seats available, it ended up becoming reservable with points anywhere from 1-6 days ahead of time. Mid-week is much more likely, but I did see weekend availability with as few as 4 seats showing as available in business (but only released the day before).

FYI, 90,000 points return (since I ended up having to book 2 one-ways), plus $100 or so in fees. I booked separate Virgin domestic flights to get to LAX.
thanks for the info.

i had another thought on using my VX points to redeem emirates, but when i called the burn desk, they told me it is even harder compared to redeeming it for VA flights to Australia. according to this burn desk guy, he said VA flights can be redeem 1-3 months out, while emirates and singapore airlines are really elusive / non-existent.

so i guess i am back to using my VX points for the Australia plan. what a pain. i dont think i want to accrue points in VX after this.