Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route: SJC-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm thinking that DL is starting there service in order for connections to their Hawaii, Australia, and Asia routes out of LAX and that only a few people will use LAX as their final destination.

I don't get why VX is going to join this bloodbath. For them, they have to compete with WN on price and convenience. WN has 65 weekly SJC - LAX flights and VX is going with 4 flights a day (28 per week). If you are going to fly VX, would you drive to SFO and fly SFO - XXX or fly SJC - LAX - XXX on VX?
I live 15 minutes from SJC. Personally, all else being equal, I would always chose a non-stop out of SFO rather than SJC-LAX-XXX. But don't underestimate the amount of O&D demand between SJC and LAX. SJC officials (admitably a biased group) consider this route to be underserved, even with the new additions.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:15 pm

If you are going to fly VX, would you drive to SFO and fly SFO - XXX or fly SJC - LAX - XXX on VX?
Depends on where I am going... XXX-XXX-XXX is basically what WN does anyways if you are trying to go anywhere on them. People have flown JFK-SFO-LAS on VX...it happens

ps....if its the same price yes I am taking VX with 1 carryon
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm thinking that DL is starting there service in order for connections to their Hawaii, Australia, and Asia routes out of LAX and that only a few people will use LAX as their final destination.
Can see that- but AS does have decent coverage to Hawaii for SJC/OAK to all the outlying islands with daily service to all major islands. (It drops to alternating days for LIH & KOA this summer but still decent nonstop coverage)

With Australia & Asia I can understand DL wanting its own feed.

I don't get why VX is going to join this bloodbath. For them, they have to compete with WN on price and convenience. WN has 65 weekly SJC - LAX flights and VX is going with 4 flights a day (28 per week). If you are going to fly VX, would you drive to SFO and fly SFO - XXX or fly SJC - LAX - XXX on VX?
It gets the foot in the door- but really there's better less served routes they could have selected. SJC-SFO would have been fun
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
but really there's better less served routes they could have selected. SJC-SFO would have been fun
Actually, this routed is pretty saturated with Caltrain providing service 264 times a week

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Feb 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
I'm not sure that SJC-LAX can support six carriers (AA, DL, UA, QX, WN, and VX), even if four of them are operating regional equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.