Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by odom4president
is it possible to upgrade over the phone? [as in couple hours before flight time] or is it only possible at gate right before boarding?
You *should* be able to do it online 24 hours before the flight, but I have to do it over the phone because the website cannot handle my Australian credit card - but Reservations can (go figure).

Reservations hold time is typically 15mins+, which puts me at a disadvantage...

Oh and you also have to wait for the phone agent to read you a script about the benefit of upgrading to MCS or F...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Heryanta
i always do the 24hr upgrade for LAX-IAD. i get to check my bags for free, watch 3-4 movies, have a sandwich and snack and about 3-4 beers ... the upgrade pays for itself!
+1, good for leg space and snoozing on the redeye! ^
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So, on a flight length of SFO/SEA, what are the meal choices (Y/MCS?) - it is just about 2 hours but the website says *Selections may vary by route and time of flight. (as a modifier for the "Offered for flights over 2 hours.")
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
So, on a flight length of SFO/SEA, what are the meal choices (Y/MCS?) - it is just about 2 hours but the website says *Selections may vary by route and time of flight. (as a modifier for the "Offered for flights over 2 hours.")
Snacks only.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by odom4president
is it possible to upgrade over the phone? [as in couple hours before flight time]
Of course you can.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, IC AMB, BA GOLD
order food quickly in MCS

My family and I flew SFO-SEA last Sunday. We were sitting in MCS but the food orders were sold out within 5 minutes of the ordering system being turned on. The items were literally disappearing from the menu as we watched and we couldn't get to "checkout" quickly enough.

So in this case, the "free food" benefit was completely useless. Lots of people in Main Cabin got meals but we got nothing.

IMO, if VX is going to offer this benefit, they need to reserve a certain quantity of meals for MCS.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by gregde
My family and I flew SFO-SEA last Sunday. We were sitting in MCS but the food orders were sold out within 5 minutes of the ordering system being turned on. The items were literally disappearing from the menu as we watched and we couldn't get to "checkout" quickly enough.

So in this case, the "free food" benefit was completely useless. Lots of people in Main Cabin got meals but we got nothing.

IMO, if VX is going to offer this benefit, they need to reserve a certain quantity of meals for MCS.
This seems like a catering problem?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, IC AMB, BA GOLD
Originally Posted by aviators99
This seems like a catering problem?
According to the FA, this is just the way it is. They don't stock enough meals/snacks for everyone and it's first-come, first-served. But the experience changed the way I think about MCS. From now on, I'll purchase it based on the extra leg-room, free booze, free luggage only and not count on the meal.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gregde
According to the FA, this is just the way it is. They don't stock enough meals/snacks for everyone and it's first-come, first-served. But the experience changed the way I think about MCS. From now on, I'll purchase it based on the extra leg-room, free booze, free luggage only and not count on the meal.
If it really happened in 5 minutes, that's not the way it normally is.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Never had this problem in MCS.

I think the key issue is that SFO-SEA is a short haul flight and not fully catered with meals, if any at all, mostly snacks.

Transcon MCS has some popular items sell out but I've never had zero food options.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'm wondering what the time of day was and when the last time the plane was catered was. If, for example, that plane flew SFO-LAS-SFO-SEA and had a catering first thing that morning, it could have been low on supplies for the SFO-SEA segment. But I agree, this is an unusual situation.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:59 pm

Yep, haven't seen that on the SFO/SEA run (I'm usually on a morning or evening flight). I've only ever seen snacks/candy/packaged boxes on that flight, and I'm surprised enough people would want those for them to sell out so quickly. Of course, sometimes I just go with the ginormous Snicker's bar.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:51 pm

When doing an upgrade online within 24 hours of flight, how do I upgrade my seats to Main Cabin Select with the $35 fee? Do I go to the itinerary and select "change flight" and then select the new seat at the lower fare? Or is it on web check-in? Or is there a special way that I am missing?

Also, is there a discount within 24 hours to upgrade to First Class as well?

Last edited by ethanwa; Feb 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:45 am

It is now a 6 hour in advance opportunity for first class, looks like still 24 for MCS. Directions here:

http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/cg...i=&p_topview=1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:52 am

This thread has some great information. Me and my wife will be flying DFW-SFO this weekend. For a 3 hr + flight, I am hoping VA will keep the plane well-stocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.