Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?

VA main cabin select, are all foods and drinks really free? same day upgrade cheaper?

Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I recently flew a VA flight SFO-LAX. It was my first time I booked a ticket for flight same day at airport. I paid $155 total for main cabin select (first time) as it was the cheapest and only flight with seats available.
I got a couple questions,

1.) Is it true that if I booked a main cabin ticket 3-4 weeks in advance for the $49 advertised fare,, I can come to check in station on flight date, and do a upgrade to main cabin select for only $25? [thus saving me $80 minus the taxes and fees]

2.) At the VA station when I purchased my ticket for $155, the lady mentioned I would get "unlimited drinks and food on us"
I noticed that snacks (about 6 choices) and drinks (economy served drinks that are usually free) were indeed free. But for alcoholic beverages, I would have to pay extra because there was dollar figure next to each drink on the on-screen flight menu. Therefore, are all alcoholic beverages really free? If so, why do they display dollars amounts on the video screen menu?
And are the on screen menu the only options available or is the food selection in the hard copy booklet in front pouch also available?

thanks
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Hyatt Diamond
All food and beverage offered in economy class is available to Main Cabin Select passengers free of charge. According to the flight attendant I asked onboard, you are required to order it on the touch screen. When you do you will notice that your total is zero. Depending on the flight load and duration, you may or may not get served more than once or twice so try to get your order in as soon as the touchscreen allows you after takeoff. They do try their best to get you what you request but it closes long before service in First ends. Another note - I initially expected to be served the same food and beverage as First Class . . . my hopes were obviously shot down. If you have the money, pay for the upgrade to first - well worth the extra attention (not having to order on screen and wait) and comfort.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by odom4president
I can come to check in station on flight date, and do a upgrade to main cabin select for only $25? [thus saving me $80 minus the taxes and fees]
The price has been raise to $35 each way on short haul flights.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vegasflyer
All food and beverage offered in economy class is available to Main Cabin Select passengers free of charge. According to the flight attendant I asked onboard, you are required to order it on the touch screen. When you do you will notice that your total is zero. Depending on the flight load and duration, you may or may not get served more than once or twice so try to get your order in as soon as the touchscreen allows you after takeoff. They do try their best to get you what you request but it closes long before service in First ends. Another note - I initially expected to be served the same food and beverage as First Class . . . my hopes were obviously shot down. If you have the money, pay for the upgrade to first - well worth the extra attention (not having to order on screen and wait) and comfort.

so "in terms of food and drinks" you are saying there is NO benefits to buying main cabin select over main cabin?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingcat
The price has been raise to $35 each way on short haul flights.
is that $35 regardless of the price you paid for main cabin?
and what exactly are the benefits of the $35 in terms of food? please explain
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
so "in terms of food and drinks" you are saying there is NO benefits to buying main cabin select over main cabin?
No, what is being said is - with an MCS ticket, you can order any foods that would be chargeable to other Main Cabin guests at no charge. On a short trip like SFO-LAX, the catering is limited to more snack items (e.g. chips, cookies, etc.). You can order these and not pay for the them. You can also order liquor and mixers at no charge, with the advice being to place your order as soon as the system becomes available because with a short flight, the best you can do is expect a couple rounds of service if the flight is smooth. Obviously with a longer flight (e.g. SFO-JFK or SEA-LAX) you will have more time to order and the In Flight Team will have more time to serve you.

On longer flights, food such as sandwiches, wraps, salads, cheese trays, etc. will be available for order, at no charge.

Don't forget with MCS you also get a free checked bag and early boarding for you and your carry on. You also get 38" of pitch.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
... as well as free IFE.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
No, what is being said is - with an MCS ticket, you can order any foods that would be chargeable to other Main Cabin guests at no charge. On a short trip like SFO-LAX, the catering is limited to more snack items (e.g. chips, cookies, etc.). You can order these and not pay for the them. You can also order liquor and mixers at no charge, with the advice being to place your order as soon as the system becomes available because with a short flight, the best you can do is expect a couple rounds of service if the flight is smooth. Obviously with a longer flight (e.g. SFO-JFK or SEA-LAX) you will have more time to order and the In Flight Team will have more time to serve you.

On longer flights, food such as sandwiches, wraps, salads, cheese trays, etc. will be available for order, at no charge.

Don't forget with MCS you also get a free checked bag and early boarding for you and your carry on. You also get 38" of pitch.
I am confused because for "liquor and mixers" there was a fee on the screen menu.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
You ignore the fee. That's the regular price. When you complete your order and check out - you will not have to swipe your credit card, the total in your shopping cart will be zero.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
I am confused because for "liquor and mixers" there was a fee on the screen menu.
The fee is shown for some reason, but you do not have to pay it.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
The fee is shown for some reason, but you do not have to pay it.
awww that sucks, wish i knew earlier, but good to know for next time
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
i always do the 24hr upgrade for LAX-IAD. i get to check my bags for free, watch 3-4 movies, have a sandwich and snack and about 3-4 beers ... the upgrade pays for itself!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
I recently flew SEA-SFO-LAX and had 1 checked bag (connecting to BNE).

I successfully upgraded to MCS on SFO-LAX for $35, but missed out on SEA-SFO (foreign CC issues on the website ).

When I checked in at SEA, the agent put me on the upgrade wait list (unsuccessful) and also waived the checked bag fee for the SEA-SFO leg.

So I was upgraded on one leg and ended up saving $15 on the total trip! ^
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
I recently flew SEA-SFO-LAX and had 1 checked bag (connecting to BNE).

I successfully upgraded to MCS on SFO-LAX for $35, but missed out on SEA-SFO (foreign CC issues on the website ).

When I checked in at SEA, the agent put me on the upgrade wait list (unsuccessful) and also waived the checked bag fee for the SEA-SFO leg.

So I was upgraded on one leg and ended up saving $15 on the total trip! ^
is it possible to upgrade over the phone? [as in couple hours before flight time] or is it only possible at gate right before boarding?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
is it possible to upgrade over the phone? [as in couple hours before flight time] or is it only possible at gate right before boarding?
I'd just upgrade online. I'm sure u can do it over the phone, never tried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.