Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Will US embassies and consulates still add passport pages while you wait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will US embassies and consulates still add passport pages while you wait?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:48 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
For those of you who have had it done, is your experience that the new pages are all the Patriotic design? Thanks to very frequent travel to Canada (by air), the majority of my passport is taken up by Canadian stamps, so I will be having pages added in Dublin on Tuesday. I just want to know to set myself up for disappointment if they are the "newer" (ie, uglier) style.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: hardly any
Yes, additional pages are in the new style.

Yes, that was my experience two summers ago in Singapore.

Originally Posted by xanthuos
For those of you who have had it done, is your experience that the new pages are all the Patriotic design? Thanks to very frequent travel to Canada (by air), the majority of my passport is taken up by Canadian stamps, so I will be having pages added in Dublin on Tuesday. I just want to know to set myself up for disappointment if they are the "newer" (ie, uglier) style.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Did this in MAD last fall. You are supposed to request an appointment on line (don't know what would happen if you just show up). The only confusing element as I remember is that there is no box to tick for "Add extra pages to passport." I called the consulate and they said just tick "Get a new passport" box.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1.78MM, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by abraxis
A few months back, I was in Hong Kong and needed extra pages. So I went to the US Consulate's website and made an appointment.

I showed up, went through security and surrendered my cell phone to the guards. Went upstairs and checked in. Was seen within 5 minutes of my appointment time. 20 minutes later, I was out the door with my passport, new pages, my cell phone and wondering why the US Gov't isn't this efficient back home. ^
Just went to the US Consulate here in HK today (27 July 2009) to get my 6th set of additional pages. Ha, I beat you, abraxis...my appointment was for 1:30, I got to Window #1 at 1:33, but only because the guy in front of me was dropping off for several people, and then I got called to pick up at 1:51.

I have to say, things seemed "slow" at the Consulate today. Last time I came to add pages (28 Feb 2008), it took 54 minutes. Today, however, was not even close to my personal record. That was set on 31 Oct 1997, back when they were not requiring you to fill out the form. That only took 3 minutes.

Yeah, it's amazing. If you didn't know any better, you would have thought you entered the wrong consulate.

The cell phone policy has changed. I did not have to surrender my phone today. The security guard just asked me to make sure mine was turned off when I went in.

Last item: it seems 6 is the limit for sets of additional pages. The woman at the window told me I would have to get a new passport when I finish off today's new pages. Which is rather easy around here. One round trip to Walmart in Shenzhen and your passport gets stamped 4 times.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I got the old style pages a few months ago at the consulate/embassy in Zagreb. Took about an hour and I almost missed my flight but it beats sending the passport in via mail.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:00 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Yes... the embassy here in EZE has done this for clients of mine.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Yes... the embassy here in EZE has done this for clients of mine.
Gaucho - Do you know if I need to make an appointment or can I just show up? I'll be there in about 3 weeks.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Gaucho - Do you know if I need to make an appointment or can I just show up? I'll be there in about 3 weeks.
Keep in mind that it is no longer a free service. You'll be paying $81 for the luxury.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sbm12
Keep in mind that it is no longer a free service. You'll be paying $81 for the luxury.
Not yet! You have til July 13th before the new fees go into effect.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/06/143724.htm

I plan to swing by the consulate in Paris or Amsterdam next week to get some new pages for free.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stronly sugest that anyone who needs extra pages gets them before the 13th of July. There is no regulation on the number of extra pages youcan have, just a recommendation and quite simply any FSO that claims otherwise is either lazy, a liar or both, please see the below post which is from their Manual whch highlights what the regs and rules are (at least through the 13th of July as I suppose they will change them now).
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops, link....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-passport.html
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just back from the consulate in Amsterdam. Even though I had 14 empty pages in my passport, they happily added another 24 for free. ^
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:05 am

I ran into trouble at the embassy in Lisbon today.

My passport is only 18 months old, and I got my first set of additional pages 6 months ago. I've since used 7 of the 24 extra pages, so I thought I would try to get another set before the fee kicks in.

First the guy tried to tell me that my passport was too worn and that I need to get a new passport instead. My passport is by no means pristine, but it is certainly in better shape than many older ones. Eventually he agreed to just add the pages, but then came back five minutes later and said "You still have 17 blank pages. The law says you need to have less than four pages left to put in more." I tried to argue a bit, but he wasn't budging.

I'm debating whether to try again on Monday when I'm back home in London. Anybody have experience in London when you have a relatively large number of pages left?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by spgardner
I ran into trouble at the embassy in Lisbon today.

My passport is only 18 months old, and I got my first set of additional pages 6 months ago. I've since used 7 of the 24 extra pages, so I thought I would try to get another set before the fee kicks in.

First the guy tried to tell me that my passport was too worn and that I need to get a new passport instead. My passport is by no means pristine, but it is certainly in better shape than many older ones. Eventually he agreed to just add the pages, but then came back five minutes later and said "You still have 17 blank pages. The law says you need to have less than four pages left to put in more." I tried to argue a bit, but he wasn't budging.

I'm debating whether to try again on Monday when I'm back home in London. Anybody have experience in London when you have a relatively large number of pages left?

well.... since you have already booked reservations for 10 trips to 20 different countries, which all require visas for US citizens, you surely need all the extras pages ahead of time. Right? <wink, wink> Just bring a print out of the airline reservations or itinerary for the consular officer. Perhaps after the extra pages are added, you can decide not to visit those countries. The US consulate/embassy isn't going to force you to go to those countries.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Anyone have any experience with getting pages added while you wait since the recent fee increase (from $0!!!)?

My wife and I will be leaving soon (one week) for: Tokyo, Hong Kong, Phuket, Hanoi & Seoul and luckily live in Washington, and she needs more pages in her passport...

Any advice on the best place to get pages added? Can it be done fairly quickly in Washington?

-Jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.