Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss American TV when traveling in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you miss American TV when traveling in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Yeah, but CNN International airs The Daily Show. I wonder how many people abroad think that is a real news program?
They begin and end it with a rather prominent visual and audio statement about being satire, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Bralo20
Not because I like to watch television in my own language (on the contrary) but because American TV is total crap... I love to watch a TV program but I hate to watch a commercial with some pieces of the program in it...
There are good programs in the US, but the signal to noise ratio is very very low (lots of awful programming). I also prefer the European commercial break model (longer commercial breaks with more time in between); annoying American commercials are part of the reason that DVRs have been so successful. Then of course there is PBS--and with the DTV transition I now get the main PBS channel of my local station plus Create! and PBS World. The latter has become my favorite channel.

Originally Posted by Bralo20
To much sensation also, news is getting blown up to make it more sensational. I love CNN in the EU but I don't like the channel in the US...
CNN International is indeed much better from my perspective than CNN in the US--more actual news, less shouting. (CNN Headline News used to be okay in the US but then it devolved into a contentless entertainment- and gossip-oriented channel.)

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
Actually, I miss the German channels that I got on satellite TV in my Paris and Barcelona hotel rooms earlier this year. I wish I could get Eurosport in the US. I prefer ZDF to RTL, but I'd take either.
I don't subscribe to cable (I use an antenna), but I do pay $20/month to subscribe to a service to receive German television (ARD, ZDF, WDR, NDR, MDR, the awful international ProSiebenSat1.Welt, Euronews (the most boring news channel on earth), Deutsche Welle TV, and BVN (a dutch channel).
http://www.nextv-america.com/
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, NW
Watching foreign TV in one's hotel room in the evening is one of the low-key pleasures of international travel.

In English-speaking countries, I get a non-American view of the world, a most beneficial experience for any open-minded American. (Childish "patriots" who take honest criticism of their government's actions as a personal affront need to grow up and learn a little history.)

In non-English-speaking countries, I enjoy either language listening practice, or, in countries where I don't speak the language, the challenge of figuring out what the program is about. I even enjoy watching American programs dubbed into foreign languages.

Whether I understand the language or not, foreign TV gives me a window into the host country's popular culture and attitudes, something I wouldn't get from watching a vapid sitcom or reality show from home.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by ksandness
Whether I understand the language or not, foreign TV gives me a window into the host country's popular culture and attitudes, something I wouldn't get from watching a vapid sitcom or reality show from home.
...while foreign tv has their own vapid sitcoms and reality shows. I have found international tv to be a poor imitation of what we have in the States (and that's not saying much).
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuyverII
...while foreign tv has their own vapid sitcoms and reality shows.
Indeed. In fact, EuroVision represents in some ways one of the first reality shows.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA, NW
As I noted above, even vapid sitcoms and reality shows from foreign countries tell me a lot about the country's popular culture.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Indeed. In fact, EuroVision represents in some ways one of the first reality shows.
My favorite Eurovision moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDcpQcUsgqI
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I enjoy watching non-American TV as it is usually a language-learning opportunity, or if in an English-speaking country, it gives me a chance to have a break from ridiculous American reality TV. When I studied abroad in France, I enjoyed how you can watch an entire show and not see a single commercial until the end. Although I am surprised at how many American shows you can find while traveling abroad. The last time I was in Argentina, in a small town near the Brazil border, I turned on the TV and found an Animal Planet show featuring veterinarians from my university, some of whom I knew. What a small world.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Watching foreign TV in one's hotel room in the evening is one of the low-key pleasures of international travel.

In English-speaking countries, I get a non-American view of the world, a most beneficial experience for any open-minded American. (Childish "patriots" who take honest criticism of their government's actions as a personal affront need to grow up and learn a little history.)

In non-English-speaking countries, I enjoy either language listening practice, or, in countries where I don't speak the language, the challenge of figuring out what the program is about. I even enjoy watching American programs dubbed into foreign languages.

I'm not bothered by criticism of my government. But I would like to watch something I like. I watch very little TV in the US or abroad, but what little I do watch I would like to enjoy.

On my last trip to Europe I downloaded to my computer a movie and several episodes of The Practice from Amazon, as well as some cartoons. We enjoyed watching this as a family.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
When traveling in Europe, the only TV we watched was CNN or the equivalent; maybe once, we also caught an older movie. Our TV habits change when traveling, watching only a little while on the road.

I don't miss American TV when traveling because we record some of our favorites on DVR while we are gone, and if we miss some, that's fine too, life goes on. Also, we have gotten so used to watching shows from the DVR and forwarding past the commercials, that we don't like to watch regular TV and get stuck with the commercials.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum

I think that is a very useful point. I'm British but it is equally relevant to me. When I am in China I watch a bit of CCTV9 (the state-controlled media's English language channel) because it gives a totally different perspective on some world events.

For example, watching their coverage of problems in Tibet or Xinjiang is extremely interesting. It makes the open minded amongst us wonder whether the truth lies somewhere between the polarised reporting in both the Western and Chinese media. Without watching channels like this, it is easy just to absorb the conventional received wisdom on world events that may or may not be correct

nickyboy
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I also got addicted to the 24-hour Catalan news station in Barcelona. I want that back!

Nota Bene: I can speak neither German nor Catalan.
Enjoy: http://www.tv3.cat/directes (you want to click on Conecta next to "324" for the news channel)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Get a "Slingbox". You can watch your American TV anywhere you have a fast internet connection.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Being someone who doesn't pay for TV at his house, watching TV in a hotel is a treat for me. Therefore, when I do travel abroad (which isn't often) I get annoyed if there isn't anything in English to watch.

3 years ago I went to Rome and the only English stations were CNN Europe (which repeated itself over and over) and sometimes MTV Europe. I must have seen Madonna's Hung Up music video a dozen times.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I rarely turn on the TV when traveling on my own- I bring books and enjoy the quiet at the end of the day. My husband, OTOH, always likes to turn on the TV wherever we are and sometimes in the family-owned European places there's not much in English except CNN, which I find boring.

Occasionally we have priceless moments- "Baywatch" subtitled in Finnish from St. Petersburg, an interview with the evangelist Benny Hin in Budapest, and a performance of traditional folk songs in Zagreb in which audience members were silently mouthing the words- many audience members had tears in their eyes.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:37 am

I might miss my favorite show but quickly forget about it when I immerse myself in the country I'm currently in.

Plus I'm hardly in my hotel room most of the time anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.