Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you miss American TV when traveling in Europe?

Old Sep 15, 05, 11:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I really missed American TV during my last trip to Europe. I stayed at nice places, 4 and 5 star hotels, many were American chains. By the end of the day my feet were tired and I just wanted to relax in my room.

I flipped on the TV set and the only English speaking TV channels were: BBC World and CNN.

Couldn't they provide English speeaking guests some TV channels that had American TV shows and movies? I know the technology is there because when I traveled to Asia and South America a number of American (English) Cable Channels were available. There were a variety of TV channels in a variety of foreign languages that had movies and variety shows. We got so tired of watching the news.

(Yes we did see the countries we were visiting, but we spent 12 hours a day touring but after 7-8 pm we were tired and wanted to relax in front of the TV set)

Last edited by greenery; Sep 15, 05 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
dont forget the skynews

Originally Posted by greenery
I really missed American TV during my last trip to Europe. I stayed at nice places, 4 and 5 star hotels, many were American chains. By the end of the day my feet were tired and I just wanted to relax in my room.

I flipped on the TV set and the only English speaking TV channels were: BBC World and CNN.

Couldn't they provide English speeaking guests some TV channels that had American TV shows and movies? I know the technology is there because when I traveled to Asia and South America a number of American (English) Cable Channels were available. There were a variety of TV channels in a variety of foreign languages that had movies and variety shows. We got so tired of watching the news.

(Yes we did see the countries we were visiting, but we spent 12 hours a day touring but after 7-8 pm we were tired and wanted to relax in front of the TV set)
You know the one with 4 minutes of news and 20 minutes of football (sic) scores. Acually they just came out with a new device that hooks your home tv up to the internet. You can watch it on your laptop anywhere in the world. Isnt technology great. Now if I could just get my couch in my suitcase
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rwill11
You know the one with 4 minutes of news and 20 minutes of football (sic) scores. Acually they just came out with a new device that hooks your home tv up to the internet. You can watch it on your laptop anywhere in the world. Isnt technology great. Now if I could just get my couch in my suitcase
More information! I really miss Florida State Football. I have Sky now and love it, especially decent news broadcasts (none-US), but I do miss American College Football.
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:55 am

Well I hate seeing the BBC crap on the US. No wonder many in Europe hate us.
Rita
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:57 am

You mean you went to a foreign country and it wasn't like America? No American TV, my God, how dare they!!
You need a serious attitude adjustment. The rest of the world is not run for the sake of American visitors. This may come as a shock to Americans who travel outside their country but it is the truth. In case you haven't noticed, there are more countries outside the world than just America. There are probably people from many other countries staying at your hotel. The hotel should be catering for the majority of its tourist, not just the Americans.I can't believe your attitude. I am incensed!
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkt10
Rita
"Oh wat a won'drous giftie gie'us
to see ourselves as others see us"

Robert Burns -- meet Rita

Do you find it astonishing that others report differently from Fox News? The evil reach of those "libruls" is frightening!
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:02 pm

I stopped watching American TV when in lived in Norway in the mid-80's. At the time there was only one TV station in Norway, which would broadcast Falcon Crest and the Cosby Show weekly. The day after these bits of visual muzak were broadcast, I would be asked many questions about whether the US was anything like the depictions in these programs. When I returned to the US, I never resumed watching American TV. To this day I do not own a TV, and have no idea what people are talking about when they discuss Survivor or West Wing episodes. So I guess I have no idea what I'm missing.

Last edited by ButIsItArt; Sep 15, 05 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:03 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by rkt10
Rita
On the other hand the only hotels where I have been able to watch Fox News outside of the US have been in Indonesia. Does CNN insist on exclusive broadcasting rights at partner hotels? Or does Newscorp prevent regional senders to be aired on other continents?

My favorite TV station is still artsy and pretentious Arte ( http://www.arte-tv.com ) ,though. ^ Beats even Chinese 24h Kungfu drama channels.
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

From the OP.

I know I am visiting a foreign country and should not expect 100 channels of American TV BUT I notice that the TV set at the hotel I was stayed at in Vienna had 10 channels for the Arab population and visitors and TV shows in a variety of languages all with drama and variety shows. I was staying in an American chain and there was a large number of English speaking tourists and businesspeople at the hotel. From a consumers perspective, they should offer more options for their English speaking guests.

I am sure that if I were staying at a hotel in Texas there would be a number of Spanish language TV channels at the Marriott hotel in Dallas!

Anyway, I missed American TV in Europe.
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
I don't miss American TV (90% junk or trash) when I'm home in America.........

Take a couple books. I don't have as much time for reading as I'd like at home with work, kids, etc. I enjoy the opportunity to read on trips (on the plane, evenings, etc). On a recent 2 week trip I finished 3 good books
Old Sep 15, 05, 12:23 pm

You're kidding right???

American t.v. is all pervasive..

On my first trip to Moscow in the late 90's, the first t.v. show I saw upon turning on the set was Baywatch - granted it was dubbed in Russian, but Pamela was there in all her red swimsuit glory.

A baywatch question, would Pamela be considered American or Canadian? I ask bacause while she was born in Canada, I fully expect that her "enhancements" were US technology. - you know like six million dollar man...

I agree that 'foreign' hotels should have more English t.v. content... shows like the Beachcombers, King of Kensington and Hockey Night in Canada spring to mind as sure fire winners.
Old Sep 15, 05, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
No, I don't miss US TV when I'm traveling. I like to see what else is available, and in some cases(Weakest Link, the Office, Survivor), what's going to be remade in the US in a few years.

Besides, the ads alone make for good viewing, and are, if you use them correctly, educational. Yes, I learned to count to ten in German by watching the phone sex commercials.
Old Sep 15, 05, 1:31 pm

Programs: United MP
When I've been in Europe there were always channels showing American programs and movies. It kind if helped me learn Danish to watch some of those movies with the Danish subtitles on them. I guess my answer would be, "No, I don't miss it."
Old Sep 15, 05, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only show I miss when abroad is the Simpsons.....other than that I can care less.
Old Sep 15, 05, 1:52 pm

Like everyone here, I love to travel (all personal/no business). But I admit to having serious withdrawal from the internet and TV--just information in general. Did Ohio State win? What did the President this time?

Thus I just ordered a SlingBox...and UPS is set to arrive with it tomorrow...can't wait!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: