Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

US Passport - renew by mail the only option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:21 am
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt

Hi everyone,

I need to renew my US passport and noticed that the DOS is now offering an option to renew by mail. While I appreciate that some people would find that option convenient, others might still prefer to go to the post office, where they take care of everything all at once.

However, it seems that the post office option is no longer available. Specifically, when I tried to make a passport renewal appointment at the post office, I got the following message "You Can't Make Passport Renewal Appointments. You must Renew by Mail if you are eligible."

Is it really true that mail renewal is the only option for routine renewals? I would have preferred the convenience of the post office...

Thank you!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by txp
Hi everyone,

I need to renew my US passport and noticed that the DOS is now offering an option to renew by mail. While I appreciate that some people would find that option convenient, others might still prefer to go to the post office, where they take care of everything all at once.

However, it seems that the post office option is no longer available. Specifically, when I tried to make a passport renewal appointment at the post office, I got the following message "You Can't Make Passport Renewal Appointments. You must Renew by Mail if you are eligible."

Is it really true that mail renewal is the only option for routine renewals? I would have preferred the convenience of the post office...

Thank you!
I believe you can still do paperwork for new/ first passport at the post office but renewal is done by mail unless you go to a passport office.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:44 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
I believe you can still do paperwork for new/ first passport at the post office but renewal is done by mail unless you go to a passport office.
Thank you. This is what I gather as well. Too bad...
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
for a short while they were offering online renewal - but that seems to have only been a short-term trial and has not been offered yet again.

In URGENT situations it is possible to renew in person at a passport agency but one must make an appointment to do so. Appointments can be very difficult to get...

Renewal by mail is the only option for most people. Which would seem to be more convenient for most people than going in person to a post office or other passport acceptance facility - which also usually need an appointment, too.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
My passport expires in June and I have no scheduled trips between now and then. I understand that renewal by mail can take up to 8 weeks. Since I travel frequently and the trips can come up on short notice, I'd like to renew in person to be available. Others must face this. What's my best way forward?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:50 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by homeboy4
My passport expires in June and I have no scheduled trips between now and then. I understand that renewal by mail can take up to 8 weeks. Since I travel frequently and the trips can come up on short notice, I'd like to renew in person to be available. Others must face this. What's my best way forward?
If you renew by mail and pay extra for expedited process, you should get it back within two weeks. There is another thread where people report processing times and it's about two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.