Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Replace lost passport using expired cancelled passport as proof of citizenship?

Old Oct 14, 20, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I recently lost my passport during a move and need to have it replaced. Due to everything being packed away, I do not have access to my birth certificate. I have my driver's license, global entry card, and I have my expired passport that was canceled and returned with the holes punched through it when I got it replaced last year.

On the website for renewing a passport, it has "Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)" as an option for evidence of U.S. citizenship. Wondering if my canceled expired passport could be used?
Old Oct 14, 20, 7:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I recently lost my passport during a move and need to have it replaced. Due to everything being packed away, I do not have access to my birth certificate. I have my driver's license, global entry card, and I have my expired passport that was canceled and returned with the holes punched through it when I got it replaced last year.

On the website for renewing a passport, it has "Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)" as an option for evidence of U.S. citizenship. Wondering if my canceled expired passport could be used?
On the Passport Help Frequently Asked Questions page, there's a question that asks, "I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back? Will I get a new passport number?" The answer states the following:

Yes, in most cases, we will return the old, canceled passport to you. The old passport may be sent separately from your new passport. We recommend keeping your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.
Unfortunately, the second step under "How to Renew" on the Renew my Passport page states:

You must submit your most recent passport with your application.
In other words, it doesn't look like you can renew a lost passport using Form DS-82. Seems like you instead need to submit Form DS-11, as indicated under "How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport" on the Report my Passport Lost or Stolen page.
Old Oct 14, 20, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Lost passport can be replaced via a passport acceptance facility. So you need to do that in-person, not by mail.

So this is not relevant to you at all.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 14, 20, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
OP’s going to have to do the DS-11, as a lost passport means the renewal application form is off the table for this. Don’t forget that DS-64 needs to be given too. Something non-State acceptance facilities mess up way more.

Speaking of any and all expired US passports for the OP that remain in the OP’s possession, what is the expiration date of the most recent expired passport in hand. Since it sounds like it expired within the past couple of years, that one could be used as part of the DS-11 application for citizenship and identity proof if it wasn’t a limited validity (or other restricted) passport.

Expired US passports are routinely considered proof of US citizenship.
PaxSicagia likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 20 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 14, 20, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
OPs going to have to do the DS-11, as a lost passport means the renewal application form is off the table for this. Dont forget that DS-64 needs to be given too. Something non-State acceptance facilities mess up way more.

Speaking of any and all expired US passports for the OP that remain in the OPs possession, what is the expiration date of the most recent expired passport in hand. Since it sounds like it expired within the past couple of years, that one could be used as part of the DS-11 application for citizenship and identity proof if it wasnt a limited validity (or other restricted) passport.

Expired US passports are routinely considered proof of US citizenship.
Thanks, looks like I can use it as part of my DS-11 application. I was able to submit the DS-64 form online. Appreciate the help.
Old Aug 29, 23, 1:08 pm

If anyone finds this thread in a panic , like I did: They accepted my expired, punched (but otherwise undamaged) passport when I presented it in person. They also asked for a photo of my lost passport, which I had, but I don't think it was absolutely necessary.
Craig6z and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.